attractive but invited guest

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

This guy appeared a couple of weeks ago on the north side of my house. While not unattractive, he was definitely uninvited, and I'm hoping someone recognizes him. Tip to tip the leaf on the left is about 3 inches by 3 inches. Keep or pull?

Despite the horribly large amount of snow and cold, there seem to be a lot of things I don't recognize this spring.

Thumbnail by cathy166
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

It's been potentially IDd as Anemone sylvestris, but since it was uninvited, does anyone know if it is invasive?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Its a non-native from Western Europe that spreads by rhizomes and indeed is considered invasive in some parts of the US.

Barberton, OH

Possibly Japanese anemone?? They are rampant spreaders, but so beautiful in Autumn. Isolate it if you can and wait for a bloom.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you. I'll do my best to hack it out. It's in an area with lots of rhizomes I've pulled out. I tried to cull out all of the polygonatum variegata (Solomon's seal--some people like it; I don't). It is very hard to keep these rhizomatous growers under control. It seems like there's something rampant in every garden. Artemisia in one, houttuynia cordata (chameleon plant) in the front by the porch and star of bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum) that's already been dug out of one area and has a gazillion tiny bulbs.

I think I need to thank the former owner for this stuff. A lot of it was here when we moved in almost 6 years ago. (But there were some nice things, too, like peonies and tree peonies.)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I guess we cross-posted. I'll take it out and stick it in a container to show its stuff.

Edinburg, IL(Zone 6a)

I made the mistake of placing this anemone in my garden and I've been trying to get rid of it for years. The roots run very deep and it's hard to get it all out. The smallest segment of root will thrive and it doesn't respect other plants occupying space. ...and to think I paid mone for it.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I threw it out last summer. It turned out to be a terrible skin irritant as I recall. I itched every place it touched. I think it had a pretty little lavender bloom, but not worth the aggravation.

White Lake, MI

It does look like an anemone. I have fall blooming Japanese anemone in a garden, but this little stinker is there too. The leaves are much smaller and finer than the fall bloomer. The flowers are small and white, and it blooms in the spring. It's a devil to get rid of. The roots are fine and long and break easily. I totally dug out that garden a couple of years ago and put landscape fabric down. Hello. It's back this year. I call it the plant from Hell. Ladybells come right next to it in my list of unwelcome plants. Dig, dig, say nasty things and still these two survive.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

My most hated plant is Houttuynia, also known as Chameleon plant. It sends tiny runners underground and is next to impossible to eradicate. It crowds out other plants, and you cannot permit it to bloom, or you'll find it all over. Whenever I remove a plant from the "invaded" garden, I clean the roots very carefully. Then I plant it in a container till I'm certain it is not carrying any Houttuynia on it. I also have some form of rampant artemisia that pops up everywhere and spreads underground.

Blytheville, AR(Zone 7a)

I agree that Houttuynia is so hard to get rid of. I can't believe that I actually planted it in 2 areas of my yard. When it is pulled up, it stinks so bad. It's a sickly smell that I hate. .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.