help me identify these

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

They came up and are blooming out of my flowers beds. I never planted them there. So I guess some seed traveled there. They sure are doing well to have come up on steep mtn. property with no help from fertilizer or weeding.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Hyacinthoides Hispanica ? AKA Wood Hyacinths, or Spanish Bluebell.

ah, I'll bet that's it. I will check out the PlantsFiles. Thanks.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

They look like common bluebells, a wildflower. They're gorgeous!

I have another large group over in the shade which have never bloomed so I am going to divide them and spread them around the property.

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

You got a bonus!

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They grow around a large rock that has a permanent residence in my garden like an alpine plant/rock garden plant without deep roots. They spread by themselves without invitation.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Are those the ones that go dormant, like some bleeding heart plants?

they just die down after frost. Umm, I don't think I understand the question, though.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

It might depend where you live, but mine go dormant, shortly after bloom.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I just visited a new gardening friend that had some beautiful ones like that and she called them Virginia Bluebells and said as soon as they bloom, they go dormant and pop up in the spring. Are they the same as a plant known as "Naked Ladies?" I just might have to get some of those. Don't have many blue flowered plants in my flowerbeds but if some of my Wintersown plants bloom, I should have some.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

They are not the same as what is normally referred to as naked ladies. Those put up foliage in the spring, and flowers in the fall, I think. I'm not really sure, they're not hardy here, but not the same.

The blooms and foliage of naked ladies to not appear at the same time.

I should have plenty of the Bluebells Wil let you knwo as soon as the pop up......Betty

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You will probably have more than you expect. Seems to me they are not the first to show their faces and probably blooms will go on for 2 weeks. They generally show up here after daffs, narcissus, muscari, reticulated iris, crocus and tulips.

Isn't spring a great thing to look forward to!

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Woodspirit1 - would you like to do a trade?
I have a white "Alba" or pink 'Old fashioned" bleeding heart rhizome.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Those look like Wood Hyacinths to me. I have a lot of them on my southside rose garden. They look fabulous blooming in the spring.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Wood hyacinth, spanish blubell, everyone is right:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/763/#b

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.