Tree damage

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

Please suggest what I should do to save this tree

Thank you.
WJ

Thumbnail by sublimaze1
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Don't think you can - there's already another even larger incipient split right down the middle of the trunk to ground level, which isn't going to last much longer.

Resin

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Scary looking I would cut it down. I had a small tree that split into three pieces during a wind storm and yours looks like it might do the same. Where mine was wasn't dangerous to any one so I just left it alone but it did split apart given enough time.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

hold on - i would cut out the fallen branch and then drill a hole through the "larger incipient split", run some heavy wire through and anchor the tree together.

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

Here is what we have left after I have removed the damaged limb. Further suggestions encouraged. I do not want to get rid of this tree unless there is 100% chance of failure to survive.

Thumbnail by sublimaze1
Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

image 2

Thumbnail by sublimaze1
Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

image 3

Thumbnail by sublimaze1
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

You could try asking a tree surgeon about bolting the two halves, but I suspect he'd decline - looks like there's a deal of decay in the trunk where the black staining is, and also in the stub at top right of 'image 2'.

Quoting:
i would cut out the fallen branch and then drill a hole through the "larger incipient split", run some heavy wire through and anchor the tree together

Note that this is definitely NOT d.i.y. work!! Only use an ISA-registered professional. But as mentioned, I'd be surprised if you find anyone willing to do it.

Resin

Frisco, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone.

I will leave this thread open .... I am not ready to dig it out of the ground right yet.

Resin: note = there is already a bolt running from a previous owner, so there has been some attempts at repair in the past

I will contact an arborist and have him/her come take a look

FU, United States(Zone 9b)

Maybe cut below the black part of the 'left trunk' and hoping not to cut into the healthy 'right trunk'.
The trunk on the right may survive, but not positive. Some trees are quite 'resilient'.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Not sure what species your tree is, but I have had several Eucalyptus trees suffer the same kinf of wind damage; ie splits in the trunk from crotch to ground. My fix is to take a 3/8 inch drill bit and drill thru the trunk parallel to the ground. You might need to do this at 2 or 3 locations on the trunk between the crotch and the ground. You will need an extension for the drill bit to reach completely thru the trunk. Then take a 3/8 threaded rod, available at any hardware store and push it thru the trunk. Place oversize washers and a nut on each end of the rod and bolt the trunk back together. Hack saw off any rod that sticks out too far.
You can also inset the washer and nut if you want. Over time, the tree grows over the repair. Just remember what you did 'cause if you ever take a chain saw to the tree and hit one of these bolts-------well it isn't pretty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.