when to move an ephemeral?

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Several years ago I planted 2 clumps of corydalis 'Beth Evans'. They're wonderful, blooming now, in fact. One clump is huge and doing great, the other is getting choked out by grass and weeds.......been that way for a couple of years. I always intend to get them moved but lose them in the mess when the time is right. I'd like to actually get it done this year and am temped to dig them as soon as they are done blooming. Looking for some input.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Moving almost any plant when it is dormant is preferable... there is no damage to the growing shoots that way.

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

What is preferable is not probable. I'd be happy with possible. I've moved Virginia Bluebells in mid-bloom and they did great. I was hoping someone else had some experience with corydalis.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Well, you answered your own question. You can move any plant any time you like if you do a good job of it (i.e. don't break up the root ball, mainly).

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

That's my guess too. Keep a good watch on it the first year at least. Make sure it doesn't dry out in summer. I would try it if I had the right spot for it.

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

Guess I'll go for it one of these days. We're getting rain/snow nearly every day. Real tiresome.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

Sometimes plants do much better if you just dig them up whenever they get over run with weeds. You end up with several pieces and a much bigger bloom area next year. This is my general philosophy - do it when you feel like it! Although, I have never grown the plant you are asking about, it is not zone hardy for me. After blooming or early spring is a good general rule. If you wait till it blooms, you will know what it is!

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

The corydalis did get moved but not as soon as I'd planned. Good thing I'd marked them well as the foilage had all disappeared by the time I got to them. I expected to find a root ball but instead found "bulbs" that looked like small stones.....with no root ball at all. So I think they should do just fine. I agree, most things will survive a move, even if it isn't the best time for them. Sometimes you've just gotta do what you gotta do. But I try to meet their needs if possible.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Concerning corydalis bulbs: Is there a detectable up side and down side on the bulb. I hope to try some corys before to long. I have Corydalis lutea so far.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

What are the "ephemerals" you are referring to?

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

Not all corydalis have bulbs (technically, corms). Corydalis lutea (now Pseudofumaria lutea) does not. Beth Evans, a form of Corydalis solida does. "Little stones" is a perfect description of them, and as ghopper says, roots also disappear when dormant. As I remember, the up side is difficult to detect, but it does really matter much. Just plant them back in the soil at the same depth you found them, probably an inch deep.

Of course, if your Pseudofumaria lutea has gone "dormant" in the summer, it is dead.

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

It's too late now but there is some bloodroot near where Beth Evans was. The Virginia bluebells are still evident so if the rain ever lets up, I can still move them. This time they are going into a nicely prepared, weed free spot where I can actually enjoy them in the spring.
As to the cory corms, I didn't readilly detect a top or bottom but the buffalo gnats were terrible and I just wanted to get them dug and get back in the wind again. Beth seems to do great for me in my zone. I'd like to try some others, too. Lots of zone 5's are fine here, tho not everything.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.