Variegated Rose of Sharon

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I am waiting for my blooms to start on this. It is currently over 5 feet tall. I try to cut the green parts off if I see any. the flower color is the single purple w maroon eye. The wind is not helping me at all while I was taking the picture..

This message was edited Apr 18, 2011 7:38 PM

Thumbnail by Moodene

Close up shot of the leaves.

Thumbnail by Moodene

Bloom buds!

Thumbnail by Moodene

Here are some blooms ..

Thumbnail by Moodene

another shot.

Thumbnail by Moodene
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

Very nice. Mine are just starting to put a good bunch of leaves.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Gorgeous! Mine is a single white, I think it's 'Diane'. Certainly not as showy as yours!
Barb

Thanks! I am gonna try to learn how to root these soon as I figure out how..have tried few times..lol..just not the right time of the year..

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I've had luck rooting them. I'd say now is good.
Barb

ok thanks..I know my 89 yr old dad has more luck than I do..lol

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That's really pretty Nadine. I think they are really easy to root. I just stick the cut end in a little rooting powder & stick them in a pot of dirt. They root in no time. Thanks for sharing this with us. Thought I had one but it was Snow Queen hibiscus. The leaves sure look alike & I got mine at a flea market with no name tag. I'll keep looking for one like yours as I like it a lot.

Hugs,
Judy

Wanaque, NJ(Zone 6b)

Moodene,

On your Variegated Rose of Sharon do any of the new branches start consistently producing solid green or solid white leaves? If such branches do appear do you have to prune them?

Mike

I prune off all my solid green branches. I haven't had any solid white branches yet.

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

Does it produce variegated seeds, I'd love to grow some!

Belton, TX

My variegated RoS seems to be very different. I do grow it in shade and have had no green develop. The variegation has held for the 3 years I have grown it....It is extremely bushy and the blooms are a soft yellowish white with a dark eye...seeds do not develop easily on it and have gotten less than 6...seeds not pods...cuttings also seem to take longer than with other RoS...does anyone else have experience with this one?...I believe the name is 'Miss Jilene'...

I never saw variegated ROS sold like this before, where did you buy it? That stinks it doesnt produce much seed. I keep trying to find variegated seedlings each year found one but it died 2 months later and was very slow to grow. I'm still hopeful I'll get one to grow and keep.

Belton, TX

I'm sorry, Keith that you have had poor luck with the variegated RoS...

I got mine from the developer and purchased 100 of them for my nursery stock. I have to confess that I am not fond of Ros...most of them are weedy here in central Texas, but the variety I purchased has proven to be an asset in the garden....good shape, unique bloom, etc...and the insects seem to ignore it.

My grandmother believed that when a plant did not produce abundant seed, it was an indicator that Mother Nature would replicate it other ways...it doesn't disappoint me. I suspect the 6 seeds (planted now) would not come true to the mother plant...

Mine is still growing and I cut off any green leaves growing. Bloomed like nuts this summer..

Out of all the seed pods I gathered up. Maybe only about 50 seeds make it. Gonna try to grow these n see what I get..

Cool, ill be watching this thread love to know the results. Variegated seedlings will be cute looking! ;)

Ok, I am going to put these seeds out in the beds to see what I get..my daddy did some tip cutting few weeks ago..hope all sprout n live..will post pics if that happens..

Quote from Moodene :
Ok, I am going to put these seeds out in the beds to see what I get..my daddy did some tip cutting few weeks ago..hope all sprout n live..will post pics if that happens..

I spray hot pepper on my seed beds and seedlings because critters like to dig up my soil and eat the seeds, hopefully yours will be left alone to grow they are special!

Well my bed is behind welded wire fences cuz I have chickens..lol..so I planted them near the momma bush anyway so I would know those that pop up will be the seedlings from my momma bush..

My daddy did 8 cuttings and 6 are rooted!! So he took few more cuttings and gonna them to root too..lol...haven't seen any seedlings from the seeds yet..

Quote from Moodene :
My daddy did 8 cuttings and 6 are rooted!! So he took few more cuttings and gonna them to root too..lol...haven't seen any seedlings from the seeds yet..

Well that's a good start!

Yup I think so! not doing any cuttings in the fall anymore..my daddy does all his just soon as the cold weather stays gone..lol

I found one! I am going to make a cutting. Funny its also one thats pink flowered.

Thumbnail by keithp2012 Thumbnail by keithp2012

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.