Larger flowers in SC?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

2 years ago I moved a bunch of blue/purple noid iris from my Mom's yard in NY, to mine on SC. They've finally begun to bloom, but the flowers look much larger than they did in NY. Is this possible, or am I just not remembering right *G*? Maybe a bit lighter in color, as well.
My brother's agreed to send pics when they bloom there, so then I'll know, but of course, I had to ask....

Thanks!

Pleasant Grove, UT

If your mothers iris had been growing in the same place for many years the ones you move may be thriving because they are growing in 'new' soil, soil where iris haven't grown before. They like fresh soil which is a challenge for we who grow iris in the same location for many years. We have to work to replenish the soil.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

It's quite common that they are stunning the first time blooming in a "new" location.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Ah, that's it then, new soil, and first bloom. Did get some pics, and they are much larger.
Thanks!

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I have noticed that my iris here in the mountains where it's a bit cooler and larger and the color is more intense. Pelzer is out of the mountains but not too far from here, so maybe the climate helps too.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Actually, it's a good bit warmer here than their former home in NY. Maybe they were tired of freezing?
*G*

I don't know but when I lived in Wilmington, NC, I was not very interested in irises because I thought they were bland especially when you consider the amount of work that has to be done. Here it is a different story. My goal is to find really nice irises that are re-bloomers (reliably).

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

i am learning as i go so have lots of questions. is it better to move them around every few years or just add to the soil they are in? and, would you add anything besides bone meal? thanks

They will need dividing about every third year. This will give you the oppurtunity to amend the soil. I believe your soil may be alkaline and you may want to add something to the soil to make it closer to neutral. I usually work in some composted manure, known as Black Kow here but I'm sure their other brands. It is pleasant to work with, nothing like fresh manure. That way you get better soil and a little dose of nutrients.
It may be a good idea to get a soil test. The California Coopertive Extension Serive will give you a little kit to take samples and send off for evaluation. I think all you have to do is pay the postage.. There are usually 4 little boxes inside the mailing box so you can take samples from 4 different places.
This may be more info that you wanted , but the dividing is necessary. The main corm puts out babies but after a couple of years, the main corm dies. Then the babies become main corms and add new babies. Eventually, the whole center of the grouping is dead. So when you divide them, you will see that. Throw the old ones away. I do that in September here, before cold weather moves in. But if you are in a warm climate in California, I'm not sure when you should do hat. The Extention service will reccomend the best time for you. They are in the phone book.

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

the more info i get the better. i will have the soil tested. the extension service is only about 20 miles from here so i can actually go there and ask questions. thank you for the advice.

good luck

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.