Iris rescue?

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

My neighbor across the street is trying to sell her house. She asked my SO to clean up the yard, and specifically to "mow down" the irises that grow by her pumphouse. I'd asked before about relocating some, and she said fine, but then rented the house out. I wasn't comfortable digging with them there, they were a bit "off".
So, now I'll take them. They're just blue/purple and white noids, but I like them:)
But, they're just about to bloom. How soon can I take them out, without harming them? Any special care when I replant? I've never moved them at this time, so any advice welcome.

Boaz, KY

You can take them at anytime Cat -- providing you don't mind if you lose this year's blooms and likely next years as well. You can plant them either of two ways -- try to take the entire root package with dirt and replant immediately, or dig them up and wash off the soil and let the rhizomes dry well before replanting. You almost can't do it wrong with Irises -- you just jeopardize blooming for awhile. Good luck!!

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Okay, more good stuff. Maybe I'll just dig with dirt, and walk them across the street to their new home:)
I was very surprised yesterday to go to the local fleamarket, and see whole iris plants in full bloom laying across tables. I asked about it, and the reason was so people could see just what they're getting.
It took my noid blue/purples two years to bloom after moving from NY to SC. This year they are blooming, with huge flowers:)

Kansas City, MO

I bought my first iris at a flea market with roots, stalk and bloom on it. It bloomed great the next year for me and put up several stalks with huge bloom. There are no hard a fast rules just a variety of possibilities. You are living so close to where the iris are that it may be hardly a bump in the road for them to adapt. The less you stress them the better. Sounds as though you will be stressing them very little.

K

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I shall be as gentle as I can, then, and move them dirt and all. I had considered drying the rhizomes and replanting, simply because they are so crowded. Guess I'll just set each clump apart, but keep them somewhat cohesive.
Glad to know they will tolerate the flea market treatment, I felt badly for them:)

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

The irises will be fine in the move. I actually had some in a bag that a friend gave to me. I thought I had planted them all and then I found them in the fall, all dried looking. I put them in a container and they came back up in the spring. They are tough plant. If you can't plant them all, I would just put them in a container until you can. Also, they do not need to be planted deep. Don't be surprise if they bloom for you next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.