Nandina domestica cold hardy

Dayton, NV(Zone 5b)

I am looking for a cold hardy Nandina, Zone 5. Is there such a thing? Need help finding one.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I have several dwarf nandinas which handle our winter fine.
(Harbor Dwarf, Woods dwarf and San Jose).
Looks like you're a little colder, but not too far off.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Ouch - zone 5.

Protect from winter wind/sun exposure, for best chance. These defoliate rather regularly here where exposure to dessicating westerly and northerly winds are common.

I bet Weerobin has a bit of shade helping out on those plants.

Dayton, NV(Zone 5b)

I posted zone 5, it should read zone 5b. Don't know if that makes a difference. I will try the ones weeeobin listed with the protection advise from VV and hope for the best. Thanks for the input. :)

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine are definitely in a fairly shady situation.

Dayton, NV(Zone 5b)

Cool, then I am going to try one in a protected location. I've wanted some of these for a while and most of the online sites say it's a zone 6 shrub. So, did some more research to try and answer the question What zone AM I ? Some sites say 5b, others say 6a. So, I've come to the conclusion that I may be on the cusp 5b and 6a. I've been staying on the conservative side (5b). But in this case I'll give it a try. We learn by our mistakes, right?

Danville, IN

If you have a south-facing wall (brick or other masonry is perfect) to plant them near, you have a micro-climate that will help nandina survive even a colder-than-normal winter. They may defoliate, but quickly leaf out in the spring. It's interesting to note that nandina is toxic (contains cyanide) which is why deer leave it alone. Puppies have been known to have seizures after chewing leaves.

Dayton, NV(Zone 5b)

Thanks Hoosier. I will have to think about the nandina now, as we have 2 dogs. Would hate to see anything happen to them. Our 5yr. lab is still pretty puppy like sometimes. Good info.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.