Princess Di

Mulberry, FL

This is a nice plant have had it for 4-5 years have it in a pot with plumeria. Seems to like it in there look forward to seeing it every year

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

Another shot

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

wrong one sorry

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Dana, that's beautiful! So the clem. doesn't mind being sheltered inside over the winter I gathered? Thanks for sharing the pix.

Mulberry, FL

Thanks been doing this for 4-5 years doesn't mind at all

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Nice Dana. Princess Di is such a happy looking clem!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

What a great idea! I just might do that. Thanks!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Clematis "Princess Di" is one of my favs and yours is such a gorgeous Specimen"...I have mine planted with Clematis "Solina" & "Ristimagi"(Added this year)....thanks for sharing...Jeanne

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

SO good to have you back, Jeanne! Welcome home.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What's a gorgeous combo!!!! Woohooo, Jeanne is back, welcome home my favorite Clematis Queen!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

Mine is blooming too; she is so pretty.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Pirl & Kim...dearest...thanks for the welcome back..I've missed you soooooo much...I have new pics and will post them...life is so busy...but gardening never will take a backseat until I'm too old to move...they'll have to pull that clematis that I try to plant from my cold dead hands for sure!!

Mulberry, FL

lol we are all cut from the same cloth :)

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Nice combo Jeanne! And I'll repeat....Welcome Home!

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Wow, love the picture of Princess Diana with Solina! I would have guessed that the blooms were much smaller than that, more like Rogucchi (sp?). I love the bell-shaped ones, but just can't seem to keep Rogucchi alive. Maybe I'll give Princess Di a try instead.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

That is a beauty! I'm sort of new to clems and bought a few recently and I'm glad one of them was Princess Di.

Mulberry, FL

you will be happy!

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

"Princess Di" never disappoints..that is why I am sickened that Clematis "Duchess of Albany" wilted and I am still watching to see if she comes back..if not I am definitely going to get another one..I am soooooo wanting "Lady Bird Johnson"..she is yellow and named after a fellow Texan...Jeanne

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

Sad to say I don't think my John Paul II is coming back. It was a gorgeous clem, but just never took off like my other clems, and this year there isn't anything but a dead stem from last year. Sniff sniff. I was just thinking that I would move it this year, if it wasn't thriving there, too.

RIP, John Paul II!

Thumbnail by Bookerc1
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Bookerc1, maybe it's tad early on your zone for this JP to awaken?

Bookerc - my original Omoshiro is showing me nothing but dead stem from last year. We're left to wait and wonder as we hope we'll be surprised.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Some are slower to wake up than others (zone 7 they should be growing like gangbusters..I am in zone 8 and you are not that far behind me..I've already had my prune 3's flush and hard pruned them again for round 2) ..if not cut to soil line and water well...she'll wake up by sending new shoots..you can prune at top to see if the vine is green if not that vine is dead and should be pruned down to the soil line..the roots are most probably viable...Jeanne

This message was edited May 12, 2011 7:27 AM

I have five sleepy heads, two of which I have no hope for but I did clip back some of the top on Omoshiro and it did have green interior so I'm thinking it has to be our much cooler than normal spring that's delaying growth. I will cut all old growth off and see what happens. Thanks, Jeanne.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Green=viable...Yeaaaaaaa...I am thrilled for you!!..I am hard pruning some of my two's as they are one or two viners...and I want "bushy" clems..Just like Peer..a dear very knowledgeable friend of mine from New Zealand..he lives in a warm climate like me and says hard pruning 2's make them better...I never get doubles from clematis like "Proteus" because I don't have the cold winters to induce them to double on old wood so I have nothing to lose...check out this posting
http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forums/clematis/8213-how-long-after-hard-prune-until-theyre-close-their-full-size-length-again-2.html
Hope it was helpful...Jeanne

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Since we were all discussing clematis "Princess Di"..thought you'd enjoy this closeup pic from today...

Thumbnail by JeanneTX

Lovely, Jeanne. Mine would look as good but the deer love to eat all new growth.

Cut back Omoshiro about 20 minutes ago and there is definitely green - nothing brittle.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Pirl..I am so thrilled for you..it's so nice to know I am not the only one that freaks when I thinking I am losing one of my beloved clematis..they are one of my biggest joys..as pathetic as that sounds..It's the truth ..I do love them so....

When there is the slightest show of any kind of growth you'll hear me screeching with delight.

Mulberry, FL

Jeanne seeing yours I think I need to take mine out of the pot its been in there for years! I bring it in every winter should live just fine threw the winter

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Dana...your "PD" would adore being in the soil..

Mulberry, FL

Yes guess I am going to have to get it out of that pot

Mackinaw, IL(Zone 5a)

All of my other clems are up and growing, and setting buds, so I don't think it is my zone. Maybe I'll hit it with some extra water and fertilizer, and see what happens. I don't give up easily.

Booker - we share the same angst and the same watering to try and urge them to grow.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

My Princess Di has been blooming for about a month. It is starting to slow down near the "bottom" but is growing out and over and forming new buds. The duchess of Albany is just a green vine.

Thumbnail by bananna18

What a sweet face on that one!

No blooms at all on Duchess of Albany? Would you consider giving it a drink of some Bloom Buster product?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Whoa! The more I looked at Princess Di, the more I like, I really LIKE lol.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I am making some compost tea this w/e and will be sure to let her sip it!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's mine; it is still in a pot; 2nd year
I really do like her.

Thumbnail by Inthegarden
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Banana..try Alfalfa tea...you'd be amazed that it is like putting your Clems on steriods and that goes for all your plants...Jeanne

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Could I use the cubes of alfalfa sold where the rabbit food is and just let is steep apart in the water? Or is this something I'd need to find at a feed store?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.