pest on my iris

Gainesville, TX

can u id and name a treatment for this trouble?

Thumbnail by sharondippity
North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

Are they eating on the iris blooms? I have no idea what they are but have never noticed bugs in my iris blooms.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They may be just sipping nectar

Gainesville, TX

nope they are chowing down!........

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

ugg

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I had these guys last year.. don't know what they are!! ARGH! They were eating all the center, tender parts of my blooms!

Thumbnail by naomimade
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

hard to see but might be earwigs or the dreaded Japanese Beetle.

South Hamilton, MA

It is some sort of a beetle & not specific to irises. Catch one if you can & take it to a reliable garden center. Perhaps they can ID. Not J. Beetles.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

J beetles are bigger, and have a fluorescent greenish sheen to them. They were around when I was growing up, then I never saw them again - until last summer. Haven't a clue what your bugs are.

The earwigs we have around here, are long, and have little "ears" pointing back, making them look longer. Ugly things, and everywhere up here. Ugh. ~j

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

The bottom photo reminds me of a tiny black flea beetle. I had them really bad one year when i gre Broccoli . They just made a mess of the plants and never got a bite of them. Have never seen the since.

Tomah, WI

The last photo sure looks like earwigs to me.

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

You know, looking at again, it could be earwigs, but I think mine are bigger - perhaps mine around here just seem bigger! ~j

Earwigs have little 'hook' looking things on their rear... these are Larder Beetles.. I remember google-ing them last year..hope I don't get them again.. &:-(

Hustisford, WI(Zone 5a)

Never heard of larder beetles. Thank goodness for google ~j

Cherryvale, KS

Gross looking! I'm having a serious aphid problem this spring. Wish they would fly away! I hate to spray because of the lady bugs.
pic Cracken

Thumbnail by NickysIris
South Hamilton, MA

Spray with soapy water. they can't get their noses into the flowers. I have used that treatment with lupines. It won't kill them or the ladybugs & will help save your flowers.

I always lay down a thick layer of powdered insecticide that kills aphids in the spring.. (which for me is in the next week or two) Then, they are under control before the bloom stalks start coming up... then I buy tons of ladybugs to keep whatever aphids that might be left or find my yard.. ...in check.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.