When to prune wisteria

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I know i've asked this before, but apparently I didn't listen or forgot. and I don't get blooms on my wisteria because I prune at the wrong time

their finished blooming now, is it a good time to prune them back now. they really get over grown and take over if I don't keep them pruned but everytime I cut on them , they don't bloom the next season.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Cut them back to the 6th node from the central vines, and now is the right time to prune them.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks kay!!

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

I prune mine 3 or 4 times between now and late fall. Supposedly they don't bloom til it's 7 or 8 years old.

Ginger is correct - even though you trim it back severely, it will continue to put out vines until it goes dormant this fall, which you can trim off - just don't cut the vines PAST the SIXth node from the main stem.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

how come not past the 6th node from the main stem? just wondering. and i didnot know about them not blooming till their 7 or 8 years old. perhaps that's why my pink flowering one hasn't bloomed in 3 to 4 years now, and I got another one, back in the back yard, that's 2 years old with no blooms, I had no idea. that's frustrating lol but good to know, I won't be so discouraged next spring when that pink one doesn't bloom.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1246.html

This site offers excellent information on pruning and cultivating Wisteria - take a look.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

But just think, Kathy, it was probably 1-3 years old when you got it. If it was a shoot rooted and growing from an old vine, it will bloom sooner. I've seen many small upright shoots blooming that were attached to a runner on the ground that had rooted in that spot. From seed, I have no idea, guess I would tend to believe the 7 or 8 years.

My mother-in-law had one on the side of her porch, growing well over 12' and quite full, which was 17 years old when it bloomed the first time - it will bloom when it's ready, I guess!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.