Majestic Beauty Ash

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Does anyone know if the Majestic Beauty Evergreen Ash tree is seedless or not? Monrovia's website does not say but does refer to asexual reproduction of the tree being forbidden, leading me to believe that it might be seedless. I know that Shamel ash can be male (seedless) or female (many many seeds) and there is no way to tell until the tree matures.
My Fan Tex ash is dying as the bark peels of the larger branches and I am looking for a replacement tree for the back yard. The Fan Tex ash has been seedless and was grafted onto an Arizona ash rootstock.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The reference to asexual propagation beung prohibited is because the plant is patented, it has nothing to do with whether it would set seed or not. Hopefully someone else will know whether it does or not.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Not sure why one would need to do asexual reproduction if the tree has seeds. I guess the seeds might not be pure depending on how they were pollinated.
Anyhow, I thought this was a popular tree. Apparently not if no one on the forum has one---------

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Asexual reproduction would give you an exact copy of the parent and would still be the cultivar 'Majestic Beauty'. So whatever special qualities that cultivar has that make it desirable would be retained. Regardless of pollination, if it produced seeds the seeds would not come true and be an exact copy of the parent and would not be that cultivar. It's possible they might look very similar, but you can't know for sure what you'll get and those special qualities that made you like that particular cultivar vs any other ash might not be there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.