Cabernet Savignon

Hi,

Anyone growing Cabernet Savignon for fun or perhaps home wine?

I just ordered 20 vines & plan to make a mini vinyard in my backyard, but trying to think how to prune & trellise design..

Does anyone also know how to keep fruit flys & insects (repel) of grape bunches. Everytime I buy grapes my house is full of minibugs no mater how well I wash?

Hi JB,wish I had some good links to give you but don't' I'd do some surfing,tons of info on the net. I'm growing a Thompson Seedless.

I prune mine in thirds with a center stem as the main one'Hard for me to explain.I have set 2 fence poles(galvanized) about 8ft.apart and have 3 lines going from one pole to the other. They(lines) are spaced about 3t. apart. Keep the strongest shoot that comes up from the plant. As it grows up many side shoots will also appear. I wait 'til the main shoot gets up to the 1st.line,attach it,but not too tight,loosely'

When it reaches the first line,I then go back and cut off the side shoots' Just keep doing this with the vine 'til it reaches the top line.You'll eventually have 3 main sideshoots and tie them also to their lines,loosely.

The first few years is developing a good strong vine and root system. Build a good strong arbor the first time so you don't have to disturb the vines later,might be tricky,lol'

There's different thoughts on pruning but I count back from the growing tips(3knuckles or joints)and prune' Be sure there aren't trees to shade your fines,don't know your zone and that also has much to do with growing grapes. Also have good circulation(wind)nothing to keep the fines from "breathing"

Yes I do' After you bring home your store bought grapes,pull them off the vine and wash' Pat them dry and get into the refrigerator. If ya don't think you'll eat them all in short time then put them in a bowl of sugar and coat them,freeze in ziplocks for later' Hope this helps'Sis'

Keep the area clean and free from weeds/grass at the base of the fines'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.