Looking for a correct ID, Please...

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello everyone! So many beautiful blooms here, I definitely need a bigger porch to put more!
The past couple of years I've been adding a few amaryllis, here and there, only to find that what I thought I had, -wasn't! LOL Of course, being a newbie with these gorgeous bulbs, I'm having a 'scratch my head' moment trying to figure out what some of them really are...

These popped out finally over the weekend, purchased as San Remo and Charisma.... however, comparing them to other pics, they resemble Picotee and Showmaster (?). I realize that growing conditions and age and such may alter the colors slightly, but I have a few that were really not what the labels said....
Just thought maybe someone here could 'Yay or Nay' an ID, so I can make some permanent labels for them. I think the red with the green throat is my Gilmar, but not sure on that either...
Thanks for any help!
Kathy

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

here's the other one..... geez, wish I could load more than one pic per thread..... LOL

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

This one is supposed to be Benfica..

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I think that all your IDs are OK. I compared them to the photos of my blooms. Benfica is very dark red, so the darker your red the better. Reds are so hard to capture in digital photos, so I can't really tell how dark the red is of your last photo. This is my Benfica.

Thumbnail by bsharf
Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks! I usually try to compare to yours, if I can find them here, but like you say, sometimes the camera just doesn't quite get it. My Benfica is pretty dark, much darker than the one I got from Mom, which is a Red Lion, I think. It resembles the ones from Lowe's at Christmas. I have about 8 more bulbs out there that haven't thrown any buds yet, so am still waiting. Supposedly, I have Aphrodite, Elvas, Blossom Peacock, Dancing Queen and a Bogota and a few more that aren't doing anything, growing very slowly.... I gave some of them to my family for Christmas, so I'm waiting to see what finally comes out before I buy anymore.
I have a couple that started growing 'a baby plant' from the side (bottom), but hasn't started leafing out from the main bulb, is this normal? Is it putting it's energy into the new plantling?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

If its a new bulb, that came with the beginings of a baby, I pinch off the baby to put the bloom's energy back into blooming. Having said that, I would hesitate to remove the babies at this stage, since they are already growing. Some cultivars seem to be programed to produce lots of babies right away. A good example of this is Papillio. I have a new Papillio that insisted on producing a baby, without blooming, and I did leave the baby alone. You have to be patient with a Papillio which is very slow to put up a scape. If your bulbs have leaved out and seem otherwise healthy they will eventually bloom. Keep looking, if you see a something green with a notched tip poking up, its the beginings of a scape.

This message was edited Apr 12, 2011 3:44 AM

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

I think these are my Aphrodite, my favorite so far....

Thumbnail by Kizmo
Orlando, FL

I cannot help you with the ID....but you helped me ...so thanks. I have one just bloomed, looks like your red ones. Your Amaryllis are very pretty.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

The Charisma and Aphrodite are correct, i believe....not sure about the other two...but they are all very pretty!!
Sandra :)

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Thanks Sandra! I've been making permanent marker sticks as they bloom, but I'm at a standstill now. I have plenty of pots on the back porch that are growing leaves, but not another bud coming yet... maybe when it warms up more and stops raining on a daily basis... LOL
Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I forgot to put this on my Watch list to come back to......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.