moving Blushing Bride and fertilizing now?

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

I have a Blushing Bride, from the endless summer variety, I think. It is just starting to shoot leaves up from the bottom now. I want to move it but don't want to lose the bloom, altho it never really has done much blooming. LIttle heads, and sparse ones at that. I'm zone 6 some say 5b.

Also should I fertilize now to get more blooms ? my others are starting to bud out from old wood now. Mostly endless summer and forever and ever varieties.

thanks,

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

If you are going to move it now, you will loose blooms until the plants recover from transplant shock. Blooms are the first things that the plant aborts when stressed. Being a rebloomer though, you may get a handful of random blooms nonetheless but, nothing close to the normal amount; you may even get none at all.

I would not fertilize a plant that has been transplanted. It is stressed already enough by the move so fertilize it next year, not this year. If you feel a need to fertilize, use "weak" fertilizers such as liquid seaweed, liquid fish or coffee grounds. The liquid ones can be fgound just about everywhere, including Lowes and HD. Stop all fertilizers by the start of July so the plant goes dormant in time so as not to be damaged by early frosts.

If you "need" to get the usual amount of blooms then do not move the plant now. Instead, move it when it goes dormant in late Fall or Winter.

Edwardsville, IL(Zone 6a)

Thank you. I'll be patient and move in the fall.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.