All I Can Say in Wow!

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

When I purchased this old house in 1984 these iris were located at various spots (ditches, abandoned borders, etc) around the property. I dug them up and replanted. They did pretty well.

Last spring I decided to completely redo my Iris. Dug these up again and put into well prepared raised bed. Can not believe what I have this year! These are truly tall bearded iris.

The white measures 44" to tips of stalk; have not measured other colors but the yellow towers a good 12" above the white. I am one proud iris grower this year.

Gessieviolet, SC

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

I agree with you. WOW !!! They are gorgeous. I would say they like their new home. LOL

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Unless they are planted in shade, the tall stems which are thin and 'hard' are probably some of the old historics. I have an old light blue nearly 4 feet high which has stiff stems little more than pencil size. All historics are keepers.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Gessieviolet! Wow is right! They are gorgeous and you are ao lucky to inherit!

South Hamilton, MA

Quite an addition to your garden.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Just beautiful, I hope you took the time to smell them, remember they only come but once a year, enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. Thanks for sharing. Good Luck Kathy.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Kathy, the sad thing is that I have no sense of smell. Thank you for mentioning the fact, I have forgotten, that iris do have a delightful scentl--now that I remember, I can imagine the scent of iris as I look at them

Many years ago I was able to delight in the fragrance, now it is a pleasant memory.

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

gessieviolet: Do you happen to know the name of the lav iris at the front right? I would love to confirm the name I have for this iris. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Just lovely. All that hard work has been rewarded!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

They sure like it there

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

orchidman, I started out with name tags and the intension of keeping up with them. Guess, you know what road is paved with good intentions; the tag is long gone and so is my memory of what this name would be. Sorry.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

They are really very beautiful. You did a great job.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

orchidman, your lav is really lovely - I like the color variation up the petal or whatchacallit. I have never seen one like that, is your photo pretty true to life color?

Boaz, KY

Orchidman -- I don't care what the name is of your lavender Iris -- I would just love to have one!! Any chance? It's beautiful!!!!!!

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

Muddymitts: Sorry I didn't answer sooner but have been working on my orchid cactus for the last several weeks. Send me a D Mail with your address and I'll see what I can do bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Quote from gessieviolet :
When I purchased this old house in 1984 these iris were located at various spots (ditches, abandoned borders, etc) around the property. I dug them up and replanted. They did pretty well.

Last spring I decided to completely redo my Iris. Dug these up again and put into well prepared raised bed. Can not believe what I have this year! These are truly tall bearded iris.

The white measures 44" to tips of stalk; have not measured other colors but the yellow towers a good 12" above the white. I am one proud iris grower this year.

the yellow iris is antique iris named 'Flavecens'1813

Gessieviolet, SC

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Tazzy! It's always nice to get a name. I thought I might have the same old iris, but mine is much yellower. I really like the paler version.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.