Rangoon Creeper- How much Sun

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I'd like to plant this on a slightly Southeast facing wall. It's block, and get's most of the day. I'm mostly concerned about our middle of summer temps as we can get quite hot here ! But I've heard this vine thrives on the heat and sun...
Thoughts ? Rj are you out there ?
mj

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Martha, mine is in the middle of the yard, in full sun. It's JUST now coming up from the roots, but it does just fine in full sun. I'd say try it, and if it seems to be struggling, pop an umbrella over it during the hottest part of the day and remove it in the evening.

Thanks Kay...one thing I'm wondering about is it being on the wall, reflective heat ?

That I can't answer. I saw them in Tampa, in several places, but none against a wall - all were out in open areas, in full sun.

Mulberry, FL

Yes I just ordered one of these too cheap enough on ebay

Dana, who did you order yours from - can I get a link to the seller, please? Thanks!

Mulberry, FL

Kay there the only one selling this, proably same place Martha got hers

I don't see where Martha says who she got hers from. Oh, well........

Kay
here's the link: It is the same seller I got mine from last fall. Nice healthy plant
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rangoon-Creeper-Plant-Fragrance-Organically-grown-/280649009450?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4157fc092a

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Kay
Mine put out like 300 seeds last year and you are welcome to some. I'm getting ready to plant some flats.
Jan...

Thanks for the link, Martha. Jan, I have two plants, neither of which has bloomed. I tried starting cuttings, but they didn't root.

Kay
How long have they been in the ground. Mine were in 2-3 yrs before they bloomed.

Thumbnail by budgielover

Mine were in pots before I moved here to NW Florida in Sept. 2008. I put them in the ground at that time, so 2 1/2 years.

Then I wouldn't be surprised if they bloom this year.

Also, accordian to RJ, they bloom on new wood so I cut mine way back in early March and they are taking over the back corner of the yard by summer.

I didn't cut mine back - should I do it now - they are leafing out from the rootball.

Did it die back over the winter?

Yes, Ma'am.

budgie - do you fertilize your's with Hibiscus fertilizer as RJ suggests ?
Now I'm thinking I might put mine in the ground rather than keep it in a pot...sure would simplify some things.

Kay
If it froze back, I wouldn't trim it. Mine doesn't freeze here and needs to be cut back to keep it in check anyway.

I don't fertilize mine at all. I did have a couple of rabbits in a cage right next to it so it probably got fertilized that way when it leached into the soil when it rained. I don't have the rabbits anymore so I'll see if it makes a difference in the blooming this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.