Canna question

Melbourne, FL

I have a flower bed where I was thinking about getting some Cannas to start growing in it, and hopefully spreading. In looking around online I starting reading about the Canna virus that is crippling some growers. Some well known companies have stopped growing and selling Cannas altogether, saying most Cannas sold worldwide have the virus. Anybody experienced in growing Cannas here that can shed some light on this subject? I would appreciate any info.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I have three Cannas that are new this year from two separate online companies. All three seem to be virus free. The foliage doesn't have any discoloration or off color streaks on them that eventually turn brown. I've seen some at the Big Box stores that do look like they have the virus.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks for your input. I have just a few I got at either wal-mart or lowes and they are growing well, but at looking closely, they seem to possibly have the streaking they are describing as the virus. Do they have to have the viirus when you get them, or can they get the virus anytime?

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

If they have the virus you're best to rid of them if you're thinking of adding any new virus free Cannas. The virus will most likely spread to the new virus free ones if they are planted in the vicinity of the virused ones.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

From what i have read cannas you buy with viruses will always have the virus, theres no getting rid of it.. Also if you have a canna that has the virus any canna you have or add are prone to get it, weather it be from bugs, garden tools or soil that were used or around your virus canna. They say you should wash all garden tools from one canna to the next just to be safe. Keep them separate for a year or two till you know they are free of virus. There are alot of online places that have disconnected some due to prone to viruses, those places would be the ones i would order from.. I would opt against buying from walmart or other big box stores unless you plant to basically quarantine your new canna far away from others for a year at least.. However if your cannas are all virus free and you add virus free ones, then you wont just get the virus they have to be in contact with others to get it..

However some people have said they dont mind the virus and other then streaking on the leaves they have no other signs, guess it depends on the location.. If you do have the virus and keep those cannas please DONT share them unless you tell the recipient that they do have the virus..
jen

Melbourne, FL

Thanks for all the info everyone. I'm not sure if these do have the virus, but if they start to look any worse I will get rid of them. I just wanted to make sure there are growers who sell healthy tubers. I would hate to spend more money and get diseased plants. Any new plants would go into the new bed. Not sure if I will get any more Cannas this year.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

If they have streaking, they are most likely diseased.
From the rhizome packs they sell at big box stores, most of those carry it.
If you don't have clean cannas around that you might be worried virus would spread, they will most like do well enough in your hot temps to look good.

Melbourne, FL

The Cannas I have now are away in a corner, and are actually looking pretty good as they grow, so maybe what I saw was not streaking. We'll see. Thanks for all the info.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Since this is something I never heard of I decided to do a search. Here is what I found...........
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/canna/msg0415240621421.html

Melbourne, FL

Thanks for that, depressing as it is......did answer one question I had, in that insects transfer it, so even if you clean tools it can still spread. If mine get sick they will come out and there will be no more Cannas here until they find a solution to this nasty virus.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

gardenpom....if you can teach me how to propagate your welcome to some of mine. They are HEALTHY. I think they have been growing here since at least the 1970's but I cant say for sure. When I bought the house two years ago I really had to thin them out there were so many. I see NO signs of virus......NONE.
I have the ones under the thread that says blooming for Easter.

Melbourne, FL

Thanks so much for the offer, but I have some for this year, don't want to plant too many. I think to propagate Cannas all you do is divide the roots, but I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here who can answer that question.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Okee doke

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.