Hosta Newbie Question - Growing Hosta in Containers

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I have always been interested in trying my hand at growing Hostas, but I lack a shady spot in the yard. the only outdoor area with shade is my covered patio where there is no direct sun ever. Is it possible to grow some of the smaller varieties in containers?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Absolutely. And you'll be able to move them around to keep them out of the hottest sun. In FL you can likely over winter them in pots as well, but you'd have to ensure they have a long enough cold period if you want to keep them long-term.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

long enough cold period? Well, we do get a few hard freezes and quite a few frosts here in the northern part of Central FL. Maybe thats enough?

Virginia Beach, VA

I have over 500 pots because I do not have enough land. Belle

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I am up here in zone 5b and I plant three containers of hosta every yr. Then in the fall I put them in the ground. I had left one under the East awning by the back door and it has a North wall of the trailer and a dryer vent about 8 ft away from the pot. To my surprise it is back and growing good. Go figure. BEV

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Lamar, AR(Zone 7a)

My hostas are very happy in pots. This one has been growing for 5 years - I think it needs dividing and new soil. Leaves are yellowing.

Thumbnail by Osteole
Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm going to purchase a couple Hosta and see how well they do under my covered patio! Thanks for the info! I've always wanted to grow them... and also been looking for plants to place on my sunless patio! now I can do both!

Virginia Beach, VA

Hosta in general are very easy to care for and should do well till the weather gets too hot.

Cue, we are in Pensacola playing golf for 2 days. we were in Palm coast last year. Belle

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

lol... Welcome to Florida! we are having very warm weather here in Palm Coast... its not usually 90 this early in the season! clear skies tho - but as usual - if your in Florida and don't like the weather, just wait 10 minutes...lol!

Virginia Beach, VA

Yes it is hot but it is not bad for early game. We played from 1:00 Pm till 5:pm yesterday after driving 6 hours from Jacksonville. It as hot but I am not allowed to complain !! LOL!!! I am enjoying this trip and so far has the stamina to keep up.

I think of my garden a lot though. Luckily i have someone taking care of them.

Happy gardening!!! Belle

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Hostas in pots is a great "landscaping tip", here in southwestern Michigan I have several that have been in pots for many years. As the summer approches, I repot them in fresh soil, dividing as needed. Instant patio decoration, around the spa. I know that several of them are over ten years old. In the fall after the first frost, they die back and I put them into an unheated garage, bring out in the middle of April.

Elizabeth City, NC(Zone 8b)

I've kept most of mine in pots for several years now. They stay in the same spot all year long and do very well here in Zone 8.

Thumbnail by DayBloomer
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

I always grow my Hostas in the container and they are doing wel. Here you can see.
Kaleem

Thumbnail by gumlla

And

Thumbnail by gumlla

Once again

Thumbnail by gumlla
Huntersville, NC

My hostas in pots do better than those in the ground. I control water, sun & pests! So far I've only lost one hosta in pot.

In the ground, I worry about industrious moles/voles, squirrels and other varmints! and this is with Permatil and chicken wire cages!

Good Luck!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I went to BLuegrass Hosta Farm and they grow their display hosta a pot in a pot and then have the mulch deep around the trees.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Quote from annabelle15 :
Hostas in pots is a great "landscaping tip", here in southwestern Michigan I have several that have been in pots for many years. As the summer approches, I repot them in fresh soil, dividing as needed. Instant patio decoration, around the spa. I know that several of them are over ten years old. In the fall after the first frost, they die back and I put them into an unheated garage, bring out in the middle of April.

Do you water them at all during the winter? I would like to try this with a couple of mine. I over winter lily bulbs in pot in the garage and just have to give them a bit of water about once a month.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

hi nanny, I didn't get 3 planted last Fall and they were purchased in gallon pots. They overwintered on my back stoop. I didn't water them but they were where rains would do that naturally.
I was surprized to see them all pop thru this Spring. We got down to -3. I wouldn't recommend this but hosta are tough plants.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much!

New York, NY

at the philly flower show two entrys in the 'trough gardens' featured very very small hostas...
one a blueleaf and one a light green leaf...not sure how this set-up was handled during the entire year as the mini house plants could not go out forthe winter...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

all my hostas are in pots, and I mix them in with coleus and other shade loving plants. It looks like we will have early Spring, I have seen my first robin yesterday. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta Thumbnail by kiseta
Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I would love to see a robin, we have had 15 inches of snow this week, but the forcast is for rain and warmer temps this next week. I have several hosta in pots that I bought late last fall, kept in side in an unheated back room, one is starting to shoe a little green.. Hurry up spring!!!!
and no i do not water the reat that are in the garage for the winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.