The most amazing plant on earth?!!!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

My neighbor and I were planting peppers yesterday and all of the neighborhood dogs reminded us that they love freshly tilled soil.
I remembered that I had a portable electric mesh fence that I had used on my small farm in Alabama.
We dug around in the "shop" and found it. As we were unwinding it there was about a 1 1/2 foot vine tangled in it.
The leaves of that vine were green and somewhat wilted but still supple.
I laid it in the shade for the rest of the day and last night put it in a plastic bag with a moist paper towel. I was going to call Texas A&M Monday.
This morning it was obviously dead-dead-dead. :(
Now here's were some of you might want to send in the folks with the white coats.
I packed that fence up in a cardboard box that had not been opened for 15 years!!!!!!!!!!
I cannot believe that I killed that poor plant. A plant that stayed green in a dark box with no water--a box that has been in storage that ranged from below freezing to 110+ for 15 years.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

I really did not expect anyone to believe me. I would not believe it if I had not seen it myself.
Fellow DG'rs are probably thinking "better leave that fella alone. He's obviously delusional".

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 1:31 PM

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

LOL - And you KILLED it!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

DD---you are an evil-evil person. Laughing at such a tragedy :)

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Yep, no telling what you murdered. That vine would have been one for the Guiness Book of Records.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

DD--There is a tiny bit of green on a leaf that has re-appeared on that plant.
There is a very slim chance that this is the one plant on earth that even I could not kill. :)

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quick, spray some Roundup on it------This plant is obviously some alien species sent to earth to take over-----you must stop it's evil plan before it's too late

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Yeah, talk about INVASIVE. If it can survive 15 yrs dormant, imagine once it gets LOOSE. Yikes!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL-------But I really am upset it did not survive.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Lord no! You imported another one to TX. LOL We have the McCartney rose and NOW the VORTREKER vine! Eeeeeee....

Are you serious?

This message was edited Apr 20, 2011 6:28 PM

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

pod--I am serious but not to worry---I killed the poor little creature.

Did you ever have an ID on that supernatural plant?

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

I have no idea---but I froze it in case I ever have anyone interested in id'ing it. It was a vine with the stem growing thru the center of the leaf. I may try to ID it later but right now I am up to my neck in spring planting--
Evry time I think about that plant I find it hard to believe that it survived that but it was definitely still alive.

Well... if it survives the deep freeze we know we are doomed. LOL

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL--

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

If the vine goes thru the center of the leaf and the leaf is round, it could be chinese money plant.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks steady,
That looks a lot like it--I'll dig it out of the freezer and see if I can tell more.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

I forgot I took these of that poor little plant on the afternoon after it was found.
I just ran across them on my old camera card
Poor quality but that's all I have
That is obviously living green tissue on this planr

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Any ideas out there?

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm no vine expert -
but some honeysuckles have that round leaf/bract behind the blossom with the vine growing through it.
At first I assumed it had just been preserved like a dried flower - but the green looks really GREEN, doesn't it?
Weird

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

pollengarden-------that plant had live tissue---after 15 years-uprooted-in the dark in a box-and in temperature extremes. It defies logic.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

If it survived that long in extreme temps, why not pot plant it and see what it does? It may resurect itself. Do I hear twilight zone music??????

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL-I may dig it out of the deep-freeze and try that. (Next full moon)

Prattville, AL(Zone 8b)

so what ever came of this plant?
its been nearly 1 year now!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

It totaly turned brown. I froze it and I think my house help threw it out when she defrosted. I still woder about it from time to time. Glad I took some pictures. Maybe someday someone will take an interest in what it "was" :(

Los Angeles, CA

Glad yOu had a pic of it, my guess is honeysuckle also, it is a very hardy plant but you should name it Lazarus.

Bradenton Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Zombie vine ??? I don't know. But I know the most diabolical horrible vines are: 1. Honeysuckle 2. Jasmine 3. Wisteria 4. Kudzu Never plant any of these!

My mother removed wisteria from her house, poisoned it, buried the carcass, and it grew back. She round-up'ed it again, it died. Really, that crispy vine is dead this time! Buried the carcass 50 yards away from the house. 3 years later, little tentacles emerged from its grave...Round-up again. (I hate that stuff.) 2 years later, more octopus appendages creeping up with the daffodils...In comes the bulldozer. Up with the carcass, out with it, to the landfill. Round-up the rest just to make sure. Big, dead patch...no grass, nothing survives. One year later....the tentacles have returned but not the grass; in fact, no herb has dared to move in. Diabolical! A vine that has been ripped apart, poisoned and killed many times, sent to a landfill, and suffered a polar vortex (northern Virginia) and still thrives.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Honeysuckle is fairly well behaved here. Virginia Creeper can be bad here if you water it.

And good old grapes can go bad if you quit pruning them and let them do as they please. At least grapes don't spread from the roots.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2014 5:56 PM

PERTH, Australia

Quote from karmatree :

My mother removed wisteria from her house, poisoned it, buried the carcass, and it grew back. She round-up'ed it again, it died. Really, that crispy vine is dead this time! Buried the carcass 50 yards away from the house. 3 years later, little tentacles emerged from its grave...Round-up again. (I hate that stuff.) 2 years later, more octopus appendages creeping up with the daffodils...In comes the bulldozer. Up with the carcass, out with it, to the landfill. Round-up the rest just to make sure. Big, dead patch...no grass, nothing survives. One year later....the tentacles have returned but not the grass; in fact, no herb has dared to move in. Diabolical! A vine that has been ripped apart, poisoned and killed many times, sent to a landfill, and suffered a polar vortex (northern Virginia) and still thrives.

Hilarious description of the attempted annihilation.

Bradenton Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I like that title.."The Attempted Annihilation". :D

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.