Morning Glories 2011 #01

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Getting ready for all those gorgeous blooms everyone will be posting. Feel free to
post your photos here.
Nothing blooming for me yet so here's an old photo to get us started.

Thumbnail by patootie
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Very pretty! I was going to ask about the leaves, but I'm guessing they're from a begonia?? They're also pretty!

Nifty, lol, yes one of my Begonias sitting a little too close.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Jackie - What is that blooming MG? Really pretty!!!♥

Becky, I think this pic is from Akatsuki no Mai as it was fading in the evening. It was
just as pretty as the day wore on as it was early in the day.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

'Maisugata' presented its first flowers this morn, only after about 4 weeks from sowing!

Thumbnail by nifty413

Great color Nick.

I agree! A very lovely bloom! :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Happy belated birthday Nifty, and those colors are beautiful!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I think water got into the bud causing some spotting. The ones I have growing indoors came out spotless and in perfect form today, but I got sidetracked and didn't get any photos. But the vines are covered in buds, so I'll have another opportunity soon. :)

Mesilla Park, NM

Very nice Nick, have you tried crossing any yet? Looks like you have a nice head start on the season.. Keep taking photos that is what keeps us going.

Finally got to start some mg's yesterday.

Oh good, Jackie can't wait to see them.. this was from last year.. can't remember it's name

Thumbnail by joeswife

Jackie - Yay!!! Can't wait to see photos of yours and everyone elses!

Debra - What a pretty bloom from last year! Any of yours showing signs of blooms yet?

Love that bloom Debra.
Becky, it will probably be June before I get any blooms. I will be
looking forward to everyone else's while I wait. :-)

just my moon vines are budding outside, despite the horrible 60mph winds at windchil 34 and a low of 37, they still have buds. Amazing. Plum Delight is up and vining, so is mgjapan mans seeds.

Jackie - Has it started warming up there in AR, yet?

Debra - Brrrrr ... I didn't realize that it was still that cold where you are! Stay warm. That's pretty cool that your moon vines are budding! Can't wait to see the blooms! :-)

Becky, we had already experienced the 80's but temps have dropped back into the 70's and today just 65 or so. That's ok after the rough winter we had, 60's, 70's and 80's
all feel great.

I just had to cut down the passion vines from the black eyed susan downstairs, to ready them for the outside tommorrow. Joe bought me an arbor, so on it they will go. I went into the pink bedroom, and I had a cutting of a broken I.nil in a little round glass jar, it has rooted and has had a bloom, which I missed. *sniff sniff* Or, maybe it is about too? I moved it to the dining room where my desk is by th window. the bloom looks lavender..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Jackie - I would love to have weather in the 70's!!! LOL! It is supposed to be a tiny bit cooler tomorrow. I hope so! I want to get out into the yard and add some more plants to my pots and buckets. I have an assortment of caterpillars in cages right now. Some are for my class and some are for my garden. We are studying the lifecycle of the butterfly right now.

Debra - That is wonderful that you got a cutting to root!!! Sometimes I have luck doing that too! :-) I've gotten blooms and seeds from cuttings in a vase in water. Never got around to potting the cutting up! I was amazed to actually get seeds that way! LOL! Go figure!

My higes are still blooming their buds off right now. Poppies in the same container are done. I will be pulling them up. Here's a photo taken of the hige blooms earlier yesterday morning.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

Close-up of pink flaked hige blooms. One of my favorite I. purpurea higes!

More I. purpurea blooms.

Debra, hope you send us pics of the Black Eyed Susan vine, one of my favorites
for its beauty and the sheer # of blooms.
Becky, those Higes are just the most beautiful of all the mg blooms. that's what I've about
decided, at least for me. I just wish the blooms were a little bigger. So fancy
though, that Ill take them just the way they are, lol
Hope you get a little break from the excessive temps. A shame that it's so hot there already.
My Rangoon Creeper last yr. Camera strap managed to get in the pic, lol

Thumbnail by patootie

I. indica is close to blooming. Maybe tomorrow. It will be my first bloom of this new season. Love this vine!!! Just have to keep it contained to keep it from growing outta control.

This is a view of the I. indica looking up towards the top of the arbor. Can you see all the cluster of buds against the blue sky? This baby is getting ready to burst into color! Can't wait!

Jackie - I really like the higes too! They are so different than regular looking MGs. I, too, wish they were larger blooms.

Jackie - Love that Rangoon Creeper!!! I saw one for the first time today and it was huge!!! And blooming like no tomorrow! Really beautiful vine! The place I visited is like a botanical garden, but it is actually a local nursery. Next time I go there, I'm bringing my camera. You all would love some of the stuff they have there. I wish I was rich ... I'd make them an offer to buy that place!!! It has so many charming plant displays all around the entire nursery gardens. I gotta bring my camera next time! This place is awesome.

I think my rangoon is not waking up like it is supposed to dang it. oh well.. Love those higes too, I lost my i indica.
Here is black eyed susan vine with pasion vines in february.. it is now by itself, but not out side yet, still blooming away, seems to be trying to get out the window down there. The i plantesis has vines 3 ft long now, need to get it out.

Thumbnail by joeswife

Debra, love your black eyed susan vine with those lovely blooms. I think your rangoon
creeper will wake uo after it warms up quite a bit.
Becky your indica looks great. Anxious to see your blooms.
If I don;t repot my Rangoon Creeper, might lose it so I'm going to try to get it done.

Debra - Love the Black-eyed Susan vine! I grew one of them years ago and loved the bright cheerful blooms! You amaze me with all that you are growing!!! Indoors ... no less!!! Love that grow-room basement of yours!! Does your electric bill run higher in winter because of all the lights?

Jackie - My indica bloomed this morning and stopped me in my tracks. I always forget how beautiful the color is! And the size is large like an I. nil, too! Love this wild beauty! Will post a photo later. (I'm on break at work right now.)

Becky, anxious to see your photo of indica. I had this one growing
several yrs ago and finally lost it but not before I
gathered a few sds. I was supposed to send this to someone but can't remember
who. I lost my pkt of harvested sds for over 5 yrs, just found them, hidden in a file full of papers, lol. a wonder they ever turned up.

I can't wait to see them too, Becky.
my electric bill only ran 30 more each moth, and that is what it was when all the kids were at home, so I gladly pay Joe the difference. I pay the water bill and it goes up 30 a month every summer.. evens out..

Thumbnail by joeswife

Beautiful light blue bloom Debra.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Love that silky, satiny light blue, joeswife/Debra!

My first bloom on Hatsu Arashi

Thumbnail by nifty413
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Growing 'Keiryu' again

Thumbnail by nifty413
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

'Maisugata'

Thumbnail by nifty413
Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

and 'Seiun'

Thumbnail by nifty413

Debra - That pale blue bloom is very nice! Almost looks sheer! Your electric bill isn't too bad for all the lights you have on inside in your basement! I thought it would be more than just $30 a month extra. Well worth it!!! :-)

Nick - All your blues are stunning! You've got yourself a nice collection of JMGs growing!

The I. indica has had a bloom each day for the past 2 days. There should be a bloom flush real soon! The blooms just blow me away! Large, perky, and very blue! I see why they sometimes call it Ocean Blue Morning Glory! I think the reason I love it so much is that the blooms stay open all day even in full sun! I wish all MGs did that!

This message was edited Apr 19, 2011 9:27 PM

Here's a close-up of the one that bloomed today. A knock-out!

I think I told y'all that my Yellow Chinese Evening Morning Glory died down to the top of the soil. I couldn't get it in before the freezing temps this past Winter. Well, it has since been putting on new leaves and vines. Over the weekend I noticed that it had a bloom on it! I was rather surprised to say the least! You can see the yellow bloom in the upper right hand of the pot.

Purple Flaked I. purpurea bloom.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.