ID help please :)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Got this mystery baby via trade a couple years ago, and it finally bloomed! Looks a bit like a species - very short stalk, small bloom - absolutely lovely color!!! Would love to know what this is if anyone has ideas!

Emma

Thumbnail by Emma75
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Close-up 1

Thumbnail by Emma75
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Close-up 2

Thumbnail by Emma75
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Emma, did I by chance send this one to you? It grows EVERYWHERE here in my area - I don't know its name, though.

Thumbnail by KayJones
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I got it from another DG-er in Jacksonville FL. She didn't know the name of it either, but it's floriferous for her too! I've now got 2 little seed pods going on it afte manually pollinating it.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

This is a species, H. striatum.

Thanks for the name, Ray. They grow in vacant lots here in my area, so I dug up a few and sent some out to other DG'ers.

It's one of my favorites.

You should be able to set seed with it, but it offsets so well, you probably won't need to. I grow it in pots and there are numerous bulbs that form in the soil before sending up foliage, so you'll find you have more than you thought.

A well-grown plant can bloom three times a season. Isn't that great?

R.

Hmmm, I guess ours aren't well-grown, because they only bloom in June.

Not to worry. Just saying it's possible to have repeat shows throughout the year. (I said "season" above.)

I've had them bloom in Dec-Jan, July, and Sept-Oct. I don't let them go dormant, but I reduce water somewhat in winter when they rest and provide as much direct light as I can on the windowsill.

While in active growth, I give a constant feed at 1/4 strength. I mostly use a brand-name blue preparation ;-) of 24-8-16, but have used 20-20-20 and 15-30-15 in the past.

When outdoors, I have them in 6 or more hours of direct sun.

R.

That's great, Ray. Ours are left in the ground to do what they will, which is bloom only once a year, in the early summer.

I just saw SOMEWHERE that these are also called Brazilian lily.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.