Pee Gee Hydrangea Problem

Littleton, CO

Hello, Last year I bought Hydrangea Paniculata Grandiflora and Hydrangea Paniculata Webb from Hydrangea Plus. I followed all the instructions to the T. Both grew a little bit. The Hydrangea Paniculata Grandiflora did NOT bloom and the Hydrangea Paniculata Webb did bloom. I thought, may be I should wait till next year for the Grandiflora to bloom. This year I am already seeing small leaves in the Webb and nothing in the Grandiflora. Last November I did give my plants/shrubs a little bit of phosphate and covered them with lots of dry leaves around them near the root base. We, here in Littleton - CO, had a very dry winter. I did water them once a month as per the instructions from our local nursery. It is starting to get warm. Can any one of you tell me whether I should wait for few more weeks or if I should be doing something? Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Keesh

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'd be patient and give them more time, then you'll see them budding up for the year. Good luck and please keep us posted.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Hello, Keesh. Leaf out on newly planted hydrangeas varies greatly on year one. This is due to transplant shock and because they are forced to bloom at unnatural times.

It is customary to wait until the end of May in order to determine if a dead-looking cane will leaf out so do the same for the whole plant. In the meantime, do not fertilize it but do maintain the soil constantly moist and well mulched. Fertilize with 1/2 cup or 1 cup of cottonseed meal, compost or composted manure in June and that is it. Amend the soil -if necessary- according to the label in the soil acidifying product that you use. Remember to water them during winter too if your winter is dry and the ground has not frozen.

Review the replacement rules that the vendor has in case they require that you contact them as soon as you have a problem so they can try and help "save the plant".

Littleton, CO

Thanks pirl and luis_pr. I will wait till end of May to see if my plant survived the winter. I have been watering once a week since mid March. The ground around this plant is/was covered thick in dry leaves, the whole winter. I added some organic soil acidifier yesterday. Now I will wait and hope the plant will come back. I did get a 3 year old plant from Hydrangea Plus thinking the 3 year old plant will easily get accustomed to the new environment. Thanks again for all your input. - Keesh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.