rooting cuttings

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have any experience taking cutting and sucessfully rooting such? Would love some tips(hehe!). I have both vine and herbacious, also how long does it take? Thanks for any help. Kathy

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Layering works for me but not cuttings. Good luck.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I can root just about any plant except clematis. I'm with pirl. :)

Agreed, Lily_love!

Athens, PA

I have not tried this method myself, but would like to....

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1084737/

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

My Jackmanii produces runners and I just dig these up and cut them off of the main plant. Actually, these were probably stems that self layered. You can take a stem and tuck it in the ground and next year you will have another one to plant somewhere else. Real easy. I am going to try it with my more uncommon ones this year.

It really is so easy. Here is texensis Duchess of Albany. I layered it last year and this is the result. Now it's about 6" tall. I'll get a better photo of it tomorrow.

Thumbnail by pirl
Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh gosh never thought about layering will have to try this year, my plants still haven't leafed out yet, still early here in Colorado ( just east of Denver, but higher 68-6900 ft.) Yeahhhhh, am excited to try, thanks to every one who has responded. Have another question ref. clems., I have a shrub clematis and was wondering if it can be dug and divided just like reg perenns? or are the roots to fragile? Kathy

I'd be too afraid to try it. I would love to know if others have done it.

We're at an altitude of 14' so we do have a bit of a difference!

Give layering a try. It makes a person feel so talented!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, Arlene, I've a volunteer clem. that was injured due to high wind. I'll see about laying it to find out if I can make good of it. signing out...will return tomorrow.

You have nothing to lose by trying.

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

One thing I learned about clematis is to plant a few leaf bud deeper than what was originally planted, that way if top gets injured will still have new buds that can develop and plant is not a loss. Got this info from a clem book years ago and use it every time I plant one, removing any leaves that would be underground. Kathy

The one I found buried yesterday had to be at least 3" below ground and the one I dug up today (fool that I am) was about the same. Long ago I didn't plant them deeply because I didn't know better. DG has been a clematis saver for me.

Toronto, ON(Zone 6b)

Kathy,
I have had lots of success growing new plants from cuttings. I fill a tray of plastic plant cells with clean new potting mix and cover it with a thin layer of perlite. I use "damp off" before I insert the cuttings. The cuttings are semi hardened current year growth. Each cutting should have a leaf and node at the top... I only leave 1 leaf / one removed. below the node I leave 1 1/2-2 inches of stem. I scrape one side of the lowest 1/2 inch of stem on one side and dip in rooting powder. Insert in the cell si that the node is at the surface. cover the tray with plastic or a dome of some kind and keep it in bright indirect light. The cover should not be entirely air tight, there should be a little air exchanded. Within a month there should be significant root growth.
Robb

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Yhankyou Robb, I have all those things available, no I just have to wait til Late may or june. As of now only getting buds so far as is early here in my z5 garden. In my spare bathroom I hung shop lights over the tub, have a small sheet of plywood to set my trays on, growing hundreds of perennns at the moment. Thanks again, Kathy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.