Better and better!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Well, it's a new month and I was told mouses were squealing because of the length of the other thread. LOL
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1163896/

Thank goodness the cold weather has gone. Hope it stays away! And I also hope the "April showers" are nice slow drizzles and not yard flooding downpours.

The grass is greener...

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Good morning! I've already been out to water in the greenhouse. About to shower and hit the road. We have three back to back soccer games. Good thing is that part of the day will be over quickly. Bad thing is, we have to drive an hour both ways to do it. LOL When I get home, I have about 1,000 cuttings to plug. Then it's back to transplanting. I need to do some hanging baskets too. We were supposed to go to a school function tonight but there is no way I can get away. Craig is off work tonight so hopefully the kids will be helpful. The house is WRECKED.

I wished I had my camera with me last night. When we were coming home from soccer, the sun was a huge orange-pink ball hanging just above the trees. By the time we got home, the angle was different and we could barely see it. I was tempted to drive back to town just to get a picture. I'll have to remember to take my camera to practice next week.

Have a great day!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Well, we have been under the threat of severe weather since early this morning. We did have a doozie of a storm, but mostly wind and rain.

Just came in from transplanting another tray of tomatoes.

Well last night was the first night in the new bed, and it was divine. Didn't know that a different mattress could make such a difference. And space, oh, I had space, and the mattress is one where when someone on the other side moves, it doesn't move my side, so DH can flip and flop all he wants, and unless he bounces me out of bed, I won't know it.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, I'm so glad! Could be that with the new mattress and the epidural, you'll jog to Chele's!
Pat

Barberton, OH

Think I' getting the hang of untangling the threads. I tried corn gluten meal to prevent weeds from coming up between my peppers last year. I must have put it on too thick because some animal pulled up my peppers trying to eat it. It does work as a preemergent. The pelletized would be better than the raw stuff I got.
I have pink, black, fantail and corkscrew willows. Pieces of branches are laying all over the place. I have to gather them up before they root and become a nuisance like everything else around here. If anyone wants cuttings, let me know.
I sell to local florists and lot of trimmings left over. My greatest want is Cornus mas.
Herman

think I'm ge

Herman, go ahead and stick them in to root. The Ohio River Valley RU is going to be May 28th, and you can arrange trades of things you want for things that you have. Just watch on the other thread, and Ric will put up a link to list trades, and one to see what kind of food everyone is bringing. You will love it, and it will be good to meet you.

Now, you have to tell me what is Cornus mas

Southwestern, OH(Zone 6b)

Chele, It was so nice just to be able to sit and chat for a few hours! I don't know why we don't do this more often!

Bonnie, so glad you got a good night's sleep!

Salix, the best way to keep track of your threads is to click the "Watch Thread" at the bottom of the posts. That way anytime someone else posts to the threads, you get notified on your home page. :) I would love to try a few of your cuttings. I've tried the Corn Gluten Meal too... unfortunately my chickens thought it was put down for them, and they cleaned it up before I could see if it would work well as a pre-emergent. I think I still have some in the barn... oddest color of orange! Made my chickens look funny too! :)

Here are part of my cuttings... Chele has a LOT more to do than I do. LOL

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

and some of my tomato plants... I still have about 5 kinds to transplant. :( Good thing they take off so quick after transplanting.

Thumbnail by Melissa_Ohio

Melissa everything is looking good. What do you have the cuttings in? Sort of looks like white sand?

I asked at a farm store for corn gluten, and they wanted to know what I was going to use it for, and I told them. They told me that it would attrack deer and the wild turkeys. I know the dogs would take care of keeping them out of the yard, but I don't want to take a chance that they would think I had put out the welcome mat for them.

Bonnie, it's just Perl lite, I think they root better in that than in anything else. I used coir last year, and wasn't impressed although some swear by it. I fully expect to see roots in a day or two using the perl lite.

Barberton, OH

Bonnie, Cornus mas is Cornelian Cherry Dogwood. I don't think I will make the RU. It would mean a total of 10 hours or more drive time and my eyes are not good at night. Can't switch from light to dark fast enough. I would need a semi to take all the stuff I want to get rid of, and so common or un-named no one would want them.
Peepers singing last night. Herman

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Herman, I'm sorry you won't be able to make the RU. I understand abt the driving part, but I think most of us are happy to swap stuff regardless of how common, uncommon, "well-bred" or unnamed. Most of us are just plant-crazy & like to see each other.
Pat

Taxes finished, filed and a check written :(

Now, to get over THAT depression, I've got some things to sow in the hoophouse!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

The lurker is back! I have always wanted to visit the south when the Azeleas were in bloom. Since I retired, now was the time . We just got back and left last Monday. I have been catching up on the thread.

Bonnie, I sure am glad youu are feeling better. I have a friend with RLS and I know the pain can be terrible.

Hello and Welcome to Amber_lee and Salix_man!!! Glad to have some new members posting here. ( I lurk alot and seldom post) LOL

I was so sorry to read about Chris Moore! I painted a Slate for his business about 5 years ago and he sent me the most gorgeous box of plants in trade!! I really like Chris.

Pat, I really enjoyed your pictures of the Cathredal. What a pretty place. I hope to get up to DC soon and I will definitely make that a stop on our agenda.

Chelle, I am so glad you and Melissa got to get together for girl talk. I wished I lived closer . If I did, I'd be a pest in your hair with my visits.LOL

We visited Callaway Gardens, Savannah , Magnolia Plantation and Gardens, Charleston SC and Brookgreen gardens. The old cemetery in Savannah , Bonaventure cemetery ( "The Garden of Good and Evil" was written about Bonaventure Cemetery) had more Azaleas than the formal gardens. Some of the Bushes must have been fifty years old or more. It was gorgeous with all the hugh live oak trees and the moss hanging from them. We really had good weather and a good time. I couldn't believe how much everything outside had grown in just a weeks time. I hope Spring is here to stay.

I'll attach a picture of the blooms. Lou

Thumbnail by dispatcher1

Lou, that looks like a picture from a magazine. The south is beautiful in the spring, but I am not a fan at any other time of year!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

WOW, Lou. That's beautiful. Glad you got to go & see the colors!
Pat

Think we better call 911, the greenhouse must have eaten chele today!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I think I am dead. D E A D. LOL I stuck about 1400 cuttings today! I take that back. I did about 200 yesterday so I only did 1200 today. In between, I took turns dropping the tomato flats into the baby pool full of water with some dilute MG. I have enough coleus and sweet potato vines to plant my way to KY! LOL I went out at 9:30 this morning and finished about 7:30, by the time I cleaned up my workspace, took out the trash and closed the roof. I left the door open and turned the heat down as low as it would go. I can't believe it was over 8o today!

Beautiful photo Lou! It looks like a watercolor. And it's lovely to see you!

Ack Melissa! So sorry you had to PAY taxes. Bleck. I guess that is the only time it's nice to be poor. We actually got money back but it's long gone. Way too many things needed fixed or paid and way too few got taken care of.

Herman, don't be so sure about your ordinary plants. I know several people that would trade you for cuttings or buy them from you. Seriously!

Melissa and I are going to have to do better about getting together! Maybe when she's done with school and I sell out of plants (knock on wood!!), we'll have some time to float around the pool (hers or mine) and eat bon bons. Okay, we can just hang out. hahahaha

I guess I'm going to get up tomorrow and water the greenhouse then try to get Carly to the doctor. She had a toe that got injured when her sister threw open a door which cleared the toenail but not the cuticle. Now it is infected and oozing. Oh, yay. She is supposed to start softball tomorrow. :( Guess she won't be wearing cleats or running.

Did I mention that I'm dead??

Chele, you will be DEAD if you keep up that pace. Now just what you need, a question, but it can wait a couple of days, even if you have an answer.

Do you know where I can find a zippered plastic cover for one of those little 2 shelf mini greenhouses? I have looked at several web sites, and haven't seen them. Maybe I am not typing in an exact description, but can't find them. I usually can find anything at Charlie's Greenhouse, but can't seem to locat them there.

Ouch on the toe. I know that it seems so minor, but when it is your toe, and it gets infected on top of that, it certainly isn't pleasant.

Just for reference... the picture I posted of my cuttings had about 120 in that pan....

I did get three trays seeded with various things out in the hoophouse. I also sprayed in there, and am going to have to get some wasp spray, they were very active today.

I hope Carly isn't in too much pain!!

Lou, that picture is gorgeous!!

I'm not Chele, Bonnie, but you mean one like this?

http://www.shop.readygreenhouse.com/4-Shelf-Mini-Greenhouse-Replacement-Cover-40wide-RGH6640C.htm

I have one, never thought about replacing the cover, I'm just using it for shelving inside my gh

Yes, thanks for the link. off to order right now.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Sorry Bonnie,

I laid on the floor and dozed on and off through a movie. LOL My butt was whooped. I actually did know of those mini greenhouses. I was searching for another one of the ones that I bought years ago that was 6x8 and couldn't find anything but the minis! That little greenhouse I had blew down in the first big storm but the shelves last for years and I wanted more.

Carly's toe hurts pretty bad but it wasn't ER bad so we are going to try to get into the doctor's office. I can't even call until 9. It's her big toe and it had sort of a blood blister at the back where the cuticle is. Now it's weeping puss and her toe is red and hot so that is not good. She said it hurt yesterday and I told her there was really nothing to do for it unless it had puss or hurt ER bad. She said it was not ER bad. About 2 hours later it had puss. LOL

I left my bedroom window open last night and only slept with a sheet and was quite comfortable! Of course my head is all stopped up now but it was sure nice to be able to leave a window open!

The three little ones just walked out to get on the bus and it was barely sprinkling. It just started pouring. By the time I grabbed my keys, the bus was coming. Guess they are going to be a little damp. hahaha

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Sorry about the toe! Hope they get her fixed up today!
We slept with a window open too...it felt soo good! Ahhhh...fresh air!
I actually got some things planted yesterday too! Our Menard's had Crinum bulbs last week....and I bought 3 of them. Planted them in a big pot...and stuck them in the greenhouse. Also potted up some tomato plants I got at the flea market...can't tell you the name right now...but it was one I had never heard of before. Ray...the guy who sold them to me, said he grows them every year...and they are a big tomato...and never crack. Thought I would give them a try.
I also planted the rest of my daffies...from last fall! They were sprouted...looked to be in good shape...so we will see what happens !

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Back to your tropicals huh? LOL

Oh crud! You just reminded me I have some daffodils in the garage for my neighbor. I forgot about them and they are sitting on the shelf sprouted. I guess they won't bloom this year but at least by now I'll be able to tell where I put his other bulbs. Whoops.

Off to the shower!

Working on paperwork today. It hasn't rained yet, but it is awful black.

Barberton, OH

Any one that wants willow cuttings can have them for postage, pink, black, fantail or curly. I think it best to send them before they root, they wont suffer from drying as much. I sent some last Mar. d-mailed him to see how they are doing.
I have too many seedlings of cup plant, Silphium ?? like compass plant. Makes a good tall screen. Black-Eyed -Susans are going to the garbage. Lilac Wonder tulips are spreading, even into the lawn. Pics when they bloom. They will grow through anything, pinks and even wall to wall B-E-S. Enough of that. As much as I enjoyed the heat, I will welcome a return to normal temps. Last year, heat brought out the Serviceberry and in 3 days it was shedding petals. Herman

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi guys! I only have a minute before I have to pick Carly up from softball practice. She got some heavy duty antibiotics and she has to soak it a few times a day in Epsom's Salt. Softball practice is inside tonight so she's wearing flip flops and not doing any running. LOL

I need help with something. My neighbor bought these kits, to make raised cedar greenhouses. I went down and filled it with MG soil and put plants in this one for him so he can put it out in front of his store. He'd like to market them but we aren't sure what to call it. They are waist high and about four feet wide. I guess he buys them from an Amish farm and they call them Mini Coopers but I don't think that would tell anyone anything about them. Got any suggestions??

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I zoomed out so you can see the size of it. I think they would be perfect for people with limited physical abilities. They also would be great for starting seeds, growing small things like lettuce or rooting cuttings.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

They are really pretty neat. The only thing you need to put them together is a screwdriver. You can see inside here, the top is held together with bolts and butterfly nets. They come in a few pieces that are already assembled and you basically assemble the rest.

What would you call it? It's obviously all cedar. It's raised. It is reasonably handicapped accessible (not sure about reaching the back). I had no problem from a standing position but it might be a bit of a reach from a chair. You could either set trays in it or fill it with soil like I did. It could be used out in the yard or on a patio.

I told him that stating it's cedar would be good. Is it technically a greenhouse? Hotbed? Mini Greenhouse? Personal greenhouse? My mind is blank and he needs help. Got any ideas?

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The last pic is the top, with it closed. It's covered with a very heavy vinyl, like a commercial shower curtain type pvc. It has to cedar slats. One holds it closed and the other is at the center so you can open it partially or completely and you can see the bungee cord and hook at the front to keep it closed.

Anyone have a creative name?? Does Mini Cooper really say anything to you? I googled it and got nothing but the car. I also googled it with greenhouse and got every kind of greenhouse besides these things. LOL

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The tomatoes are really coming along! I was laughing the other day when Melissa was here, as the tomatoes had only been transplanted a week before. They were already about 3" tall. I guess that is pretty good. I sowed seeds on 3/22 and took this pic on 4/8. So 17 days from seeding to this pic.

They've actually grown noticeably the last few days. Yesterday I put water and MG in the baby pool and let each tray have a little soak. I'm hoping to have the last of them transplanted between tomorrow and Wednesday. It's so hard to get stuff done when I have to stop and get cleaned up every night around 4pm. sigh.

Thumbnail by Badseed
Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

After I took Carly to the doctor today, we swung by Lowe's so I could pick up some more lumber. I still have green wire fencing and I'm going to put 2 more shelves in the greenhouse, up higher. I have room behind the heater and I'll be able to duck out the back door if I open it at all, or take that shelf back out when I don't need so many shelves. I'm also going to put one in front of the heater also at 4' or 5' high. That will give me about 14 more feet of shelf.

I had hubby take the coop off one of the bigger chicken tractors. I'm going to cover it with plastic so I can move some of the gallon perennials out there then use it as a holding bed for trees. I may have to cover a second one with blue tarp for the shade plants. I'm totally out of room in the greenhouse but have a very nice large gravel bed where the greenhouses were. I'd like to pour a 1/2 court for the kids there but since I don't have the money and don't plan on staying here....LOL

So, what has everyone else been up to today??

Barberton, OH

Is it too late to sow peppers? I hate to do that
because it's so much work for the half dozen plants I need, but Thai Dragons are so hard to find. I don't have a GH and every window is full of house plants. I can take the seed from the ones I dried last year.
The cup plant from the last post is Silphium Perfoliatum --Herman

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I love Silphium! I have/had a big one out front. I'm not sure if my friend took that one or not. I think I still have seeds in my bucket.

If you start the peppers somewhere you can keep them nice and warm so they sprout quickly, I think you still have plenty of time! Once they hit the heat, they'll take off anyway. I'm still planning on starting some more. I just needed more shelves. LOL

Barberton, OH

Heat may be a problem, I keep my thermostat at 60. I wear lots of clothes in the winter. Takes forever for amaryllis to bloom, even in the South window. Nothing to lose. I bought them in Mt Eaton last year, about a 2 or 3 gallon trip. Thai Dragons are a mainstay in my cooking, although at 50k Scoville units a little goes a long way. Does anyone have any for sale or trade?

Barberton, OH

Melissa, I just looked at your pic of cuttings. I tried to overwinter coleus cuttings, but they just went to flower. Was the timing wrong? The parent plant was blooming when I took the cuttings.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Do you have a heating pad? What about on top of the dryer? Older refrigerators also put out a bit of heat. How about near a lamp?

Hopefully Melissa will check in. She might have the peppers. Did you try searching DG to see if anyone has them? People will often trade them if they have them. It's not one I normally grow. If you want to send me some seeds, I'll start them for you and mail them back with they are large enough.

In the meantime...you don't want to let coleus flower. Typical of annuals, they will flower, set seed then croak. Just today, my neighbor was joking about hiring one of my kids to pinch the flowers off his. LOL He couldn't keep up with them last year. I went over once or twice a week and pinched them for him..Do you always keep your house so cool? That could have also affected them. When we buy cuttings to root, they are all tip cuttings. If they send up a flower stalk, we pinch them off right away.

Barberton, OH

I tried the cuttings at the GF's house where 70's were normal. Her orchids did good. Even tipping didn't help. they kept putting out buds. I think once they start, they just continue.
I only keep the house that cool in the winter. I don't own stock in Dominion Ohio. Going to miss GF's CA this summer. I think I have something where I can provide bottom heat. Gave a lot of my seed starting things to #1 daughter. She's taking Master Gardener course in RI.

Gosh, Chele, the cedar planting dohikey is nice. I don't think I would call it a Mini Cooper, because of the liability that he might encounter from the car people. Might not be an issue, but better safe than sorry. I think before he tries to market them, I would test them out from a seated position, and that could be an angle that would appeal to many who need special accommodations for their gardening. I know that there is an accessible gardening forum, and those people may have more contacts and they could take off. Maybe Table Garden, LowGreen, Kitchen Garden, Easy Herb Garden, Cedar Wonder, Miracle Greenhouse, Easy Grow, Lowdown and Dirty Earthbox, Cedar Master Garden.

That is all that comes to me right now. If it is actually handicapped accessible, then a play on that angle Right Height Grow Box, Cruise Up Garden, Helping Hands Garden, Easy Garden Box. etc.

Holy Cow on those tomatoes. I just transplanted mine, and without heat in the garden shed, they are not doing much growing.

Salix man, I have used the top of the fridge, a heating pad, putting them over a floor vent, water heater. If you just have a few that you want to germinate, I have been known to turn my oven on the very lowest setting, and place the cups on top of the stove during the day time. If you have any aluminum roasting pan with a plastic cover, you could put them outside on a sunny day and have a very mini greenhouse.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.