Wanted cuttings to try to root. :)

Harpursville, NY(Zone 5a)

I have been reading the threads about rooting cuttings and I would love to try. I do not have any hydrangeas except a couple of old white ones that are not very pretty that grow next to the road in front of my house. I have been rooting fig cuttings successfully and I would guess the method I have been using for those would work for hydrangeas too. I plan on going to the cemetery and taking 4-5 cuttings from the bushes there. If anyone would be interested in sharing a few cuttings from their bushes for postage and a couple of bucks, please PM me. I have a long bank I would love to plant with different forms of hydrangeas but don't have much cash to do it. I do however have lots of time and the love of doing the impossible so maybe I can grow some cuttings:)
Linda

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

Wish I had hydrangeas to try and send you. The only ones I have are wild hydrangeas I found growing in the hills. I know were there is an oak-leaf hydrangea, I could see if they will let me get some cuttings from it. I'll let you know.

I am trying craigs list. It would be easier to pick them up myself:) Martha Stewart had a show on rooting hydrangeas . I will see if it is on YouTube.
Linda

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

How do you get the cuttings to root?

You find new wood just breaking dormancy make sure it has at least three bud nodes on it. Cut the end on an angle then dip it in water and then rooting compound and stick it in soiless mix. I am using a tree flat. It has 5 inch deep tubes with a large drainage hole at the bottom. I guess hydrangea can also be rooted in sand or water.. I am going to stick the whole tray in a clear plastic bag to keep the humidity high.
Linda

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I went and checked on the oak leaf hydrangea and there is little babies coming up around the mother plant. I think they are babies. I carefully dug around one and it runs back to the adult plant.

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Oakleaf sometimes does that. After the new plants are a little big, you can cut the link to the "mother plant".

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Can you bury a limb on these like a snowball bush?

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

luis_pr
Thanks for the information. I'll keep watch on it and get it when it roots and grows up a little bit.

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh Marti00 good luck with the roots. I absolutley love my oakleaf hydrangea!!! Hopefully it will have more flowers than last year. Only had one so dissappointing. mommagoose if I knew how to send a "rooting" I would if I have anything you would be interested in. I have a big lady in red, annabelle, somekind of lace cap, oakleaf and a peewee. Have a great memorial day.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

i rooted those fall blooming Hyds. (not sure of their latin name) white cone shaped and then turn colors. You must cut them back drasticaly for them to bloom well in spring.

Wait for the first frost. Cut them back after the 1 st frost and put cuttings into the soil, yes in your garden frost or no frost and then just let them be until spring. 1 out of 2 will root and grow ...

Don't call me crazy it worked for me each and everytime in Zone 5 (planted as in 4 because very shaded property). upstate NY.

I have different once here in FL. that won't survive winter in the North.One is "Shooting Star" lovely.....Helene

Here too they struggle from /wind and salt air as we are near the beaches.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.