Crown vetch

Pineville, WV

Four years ago we had some excavation work done on our land, we were left with a very long, steep, and wide slope behind our house. The contractor suggested seeding with crown vetch, so we did. A few months later I started finding out about the potential problems with it. I am not very happy with it's looks, it gets a little taller than what I thought, and I kind of like the clover looking flowers. So far it does not seem to be invasive, it is even dying out in large patches. I keep telling everyone we have the worst soil in the world, and I have a feeling that is why it may be dying out, if I do not baby my plants with fertilizer every few weeks everything dies! I live in southern WV in zone 6 and we have very heavy, thick, orange, clay soil, I ammend where possible. I guess my question is what could I start seeding where the crown vetch is dying out? It seems to be doing a great job and holding up the bank, which was the contractors concern, but since I don't really like it, and it seems to not be thriving, what would be a good substitute? Oh yes, and we have a major deer problem in our area.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

If your soil is so dreadful I suggest that before you worry about new plants that you contact your local extension agent. Have some tests done on your soil and find out exactly what it is missing. The extension advice is free and the tests are cheap, especially compared to buying new plants to kill. The agent can also give you suggestions for substitute plants to try once your soil is out of the hospital. See http://ext.wvu.edu/county_offices

Pineville, WV

Thank you greenthumb99. I did contact them about 3 summers ago and no one returned my call, so I will try it again.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I agree on getting the soil tested--if you're having trouble keeping crown vetch alive I don't know how well any other plants will do! Vetch is one of those things that can grow pretty much anywhere even poor soil.

Pineville, WV

Thanks to you both, the crown vetch is just now starting to come in. In a week or 2 when it comes in a little better I will post a picture of how shoddy it looks.

Crossville, TN

Hi Idohair...I wish you were here to do mine! Iknow nothing about VETCH, but I do know about your soil...I am from over Sophia way and manage to get home once a year...maybe we can get together ...heck....you may be kin to me as I have relatives over your way! Jo

Stewart, TN

idohair - I am having almost your identical experience with crownvetch. We put it in to try to stabilize a hot, dry clay slope left there after construction. My crownvetch, too, has not taken hold (the poke sallet and stiltgrass are doing great!) During this, the third year, the crownvetch is starting to do a little better. I as the tree leaves fall each year the scraped-off soil gets naturally amended. It's so hard to get things started here that I NEED what are called invasives elsewhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.