Wake up my Hibiscus!!

Providence, RI

So I've had this hibiscus plant for about a year. I got it from a friend who had it for several years, and it gave blossoms before it came into my care. The plant currently sits on top of a book shelf, near a very sunny south-facing window (which my succulents sit in front of and have a blast... really, the chubby little things, and the Adeniums are happy as clams). So its pretty sunny. The hibiscus gets bright ambient light, with a few hours of direct sunlight. The foliage is healthy, and I pruned when I was given this plant just to maintain symmetry.

Take a look at this shy plant, and share your thoughts...

Thumbnail by fatcaudex
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It may need more light--hibiscus like fairly sunny conditions, and a couple hours of direct sunlight from a window is not anywhere close to being outside in a sunny spot. At a minimum I'd try to move it closer to the window so that it's getting more hours of direct sunlight and see if that helps.

It also might be happier if you were able to put it outside during the warmer months. My hibiscus definitely bloom better when they get some heat as well as sun (not too much heat though--when we get over 100 they tend to shut down blooming somewhat too but 80-90 or so seems to make them really happy). If you do that, make sure you gradually adjust it to the higher light levels outside--sun through a window is nowhere near as intense as sun outside so it'll sunburn if you take it and plop it in a sunny spot outside without acclimating it first.

Providence, RI

I suspected as much... I don't think my succulents will be happy with a hibiscus sharing their spot in the sun :( I'll try it. Thanks for the tips!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Looking at your pot to plant size my guess is the poor thing is pot bound. If so de-pot it. With a very sharp knife slice some of the root ball edges all the way from top to bottom of the ball to loosen up the ball. Replant in a much larger pot. I would use mycorrhizae and a very lite dose of trace minerals with a tea spoon full of low number organic fertilizer. As soon as you are frost free consider taking it outside for full sun conditions.

After this action your plant will come back inside this fall very much improved where it should bloom in your present indoor setting. Trim the top back just before you re-pot and or when you move it outside. Trim it anytime a single limb gets out of line. Rotate the pot both when outside and inside next winter.

Providence, RI

I will do this... thanks. It is horribly root-bound. Good observation. I have to water it every other day, which indicates this too.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.