Dwarf, perennial Evergreens for Containers....

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I need some ideas really quick.....

My daughter works at IKEA here. They have a "roof-top" deck off of the restaurant
where people can go outside and sit and eat.....This is in FULL SUN--and, probably,
quite hot--being roof-top....

They have 6 lg. planters--about16"-17' size--and they want to plant something in there
that wil:
--Live in full sun and heat
--Survive some neglect (irregular watering)
--stay green but compact --year round
--Flowering is not important--but--OK...
--Has to be "bushy/full" to balance the looks in a lg. pot
--has to be kid-friendly..like..NO thorns or stickers..

I looked through some Books--and the best I could find was a "Emerald Gold (or Cushion) Euonymus."
This seems to fit all the "requirements"....

Can anyone think of another one? I am in Baltimore, MD. Zone 7a.

Need this info ASAP--as they want to know by next Wednesday (4/13)....

Thank you for any ideas... Gita

Danville, IN

Perennials that are tolerant of dry soil, and hot dry conditions include: yarrow, golden marguerites, artemisia, Shasta daisy, coreopsis, dianthus, coneflowers, euphorbias, Blue Fescue grass, gaillardia, blue oat grass, red hot poker, liatris, any of the miscanthus grasses, switch grass (panicum), fountain grass, rudbeckia, salvia, any of the many succulents such as hens and chickens, etc.

Shrubs include: barberry (has thorns though), smokebush, sweetspire, junipers (some are softer than others), vicary (golden is bright), bayberry, any of the pine family including mugho pines, buckthorn, sumac, and yuccas (can be sharp).

Note: Any will need some initial watering to get established for a few weeks. Then they can take some neglect, but will do best with a weekly drench. The succulents and grasses will take the most abuse. For most of the flowers and shrubs, start with very good soil that will hold moisture. Succulents need better draining soil though.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

HoosierGreen---

Thank you for your ideas......

You suggested-----
Shrubs include: barberry (has thorns though), smokebush, sweetspire, junipers (some are softer than others), vicary (golden is bright), bayberry, any of the pine family including mugho pines, buckthorn, sumac, and yuccas (can be sharp

--Barberry is OUT! Thorns....
--I do not know what "vicary" or a "sweetspire" is???
--Mugho Pines are a bit "rough" i appearance...for potted plants....They are more landscape...
--Sumac?? Is this nor poisonous?
--Yuccas would be too tall--unless you are talking about some dwarf form?
I see them also as a landscape plant....

I am too lazy to look each of these up--so I will ask you again....
Remember--these will be in Lg pots (15"-17") on, basically, a deck.
They should have a proportional look--like--no bigger that, maybe, 2'-3' at maturity. IF they live that long....

Think a nice container plant......that is care free--drought resistant...and pleasing to the eye...

Gita

Danville, IN

Actually, any plant that is going to survive outside over the winter and in harsh conditions is also going to be used in as "landscape" plant, including decorative grasses.

Vicary is everywhere, Golden Privet is the common name and would be bright and tough (and cheap) to use. You can find them everywhere for sale.

There are wonderful sumacs to use, not poisonous, but sculptural and striking. Look for 'Tiger Eyes' or the regular cutleaf staghorn sumac.

The grasses would be super. Lovely in the summer and attractive when dry and dormant in the winter, not that anyone would be outside!

Cutleaf buckthorn is great, especially the columnar cultivar 'Fine Line'.

Take this list to a nursery of big box store to check them out. Or Google Image them first to see what they are like.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Gita, the ornamental grasses would look great

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Looking around my HD yard--I chose a Euonymous "Fortunii" (?)

It has intensely green and yellow, shiny leaves and a somewhat trailing-over-
the pot habit. Very pretty. Grows 2'-4' eventually--but, I imagine it can be trimmed...
Comes in a 2 gal, pot for $19,97.

These are many other "gold" Euonymous--but this one was the best...to me.

Thank you all for your suggestions, though...

Gita

Danville, IN

Watch for euonymus scale, which is very difficult to control once it gets started. There is a systemic you can apply as a preventative. Euonymus will need to be watered regularly until it gets established, but it will make a nice look. Depending on the cultivar, it will need a haircut occasionally as it tends to get "spiky".

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

We've had this one outside for a few years and it seems to get bigger every year and not mind being left outside over Winter, it has turned out to be a nice plant in a metal bucket. It's a Euonymus too, but not sure which one.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OK! Everyone!!!

I have erred on choosing the "Euonymus Fortunei....."
It seems to be the horrible, invasive kind--that one can find in the woods....
choking out all kinds of natural plants.
It also crawls up trees and walls and all that!!! GONE!!!!!
Besides--ONLY the new growth (as is sold in HD, etc) has the intense
variegation. As it ages--the leaves become solid green and also, kind of,
Holly leaf shaped....
f you Google it--you will get all the warnings and the "bad news" about it....

My new choice is the "Euononymus emerald 'n gold"one...
It is still in the "Wintercreaper" category--but it only grows 2' tall and wide....

Hopefully, this will suit the planters.....

Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.