Boise, ID

Is it too early to sell them? I only have sold a few in the past, and I had some free time when we had 3 really warm days to get out there and divide 2 pretty colors but I dont know where to put them now! I have half a trash bag of white and a 1/4 trash bag of brownish maroon... I have to many others to make room to separate them! Is it too early to offer them? Please advise. I usually get the dividing done in early fall. :( Thanks!

Thumbnail by irislover10
North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

no, it should be ok.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I divide mine in the early summer just as they are done blooming, it's the only time I can what is what!
I have never had trouble. I really wish the nurseries would sell them then, I hate planting them in August/September when it is 100 degrees and no rain. all they do is lay there and dry up frying!
By planting them the last of May they have time to root a little before the weather gets so hot...

iris are tough little plant! Sometime they might not bloom the following year if you dig out the whole thing. It won't hurt it if you splice part of it off if you are dividing. I only dig out what I'm going to give away and leave the rest alone.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I wish they would sell them earlier too, but understand that the fall planting is the best way to deal with huge amounts of sales. It is cheaper and easier to ship dry rhizomes than plants, but I have noticed several companies are now offering Iris plants in the spring - like Wild's who have an assortment of perennials for sale.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I am leery of Wilds, the dayliles I order from them are not always right and the customer service is sometimes lacking.
There are better places to order from... but for the money they are ok on daylilies. I have never ordered iris from them though.

South Hamilton, MA

Most iris specialty growers ship in the summer. You don't have to buy the new expensive introductions. There are less expensive plants to be had.

Cherryvale, KS

I belong to 2 clubs. One digs and sells in June, the other in early September. It is much easier on me to dig in June. August here is brutal. When it is super hot, I pot! LOL Happy Wed. BIF's! pic Flights of Fancy

Thumbnail by NickysIris

It's too hot in Atlanta to dig in June. I get all my gardening done by early May, otherwise they will have to wait! It's watering and just enjoying in June, July and August!

South Hamilton, MA

If you already have 'bags full' pot them so they won't deteriate. Selling dried up rhizomes is not right. I assume these are no IDs.

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I have dug and divided some after blooming because I could see some rot in a large and I wanted to cut it out. That's good news that you could dig and replant right after blooming when you know which is which.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.