Planting question from the south

Mulberry, FL

Hi I have never had any of these I just picked up 2 going to give them a shot. So far all I know is they like moist rich soil any body share a little more light on this thanks Dana

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Need to more about the type of Hydrangea's you bought first! Oakleaf's don't like wet feet.

Doug

Mulberry, FL

Thanks for the responce would a pic help?

Mulberry, FL

Heres one of them

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

And the other. Names would be helpful too thanks!

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

They're both macrophylla's. Guessing which cultivar will be more challenging, but the care for all of them is similar. They will not be happy with afternoon sun so make sure that they get a little sun in the morning but are shaded in the afternoon. I'd also recommend not planting them under trees if you can avoid it--while that's a nice easy way to give them some shade, the tree roots tend to take a lot of the moisture and I found I was having to water mine constantly to keep them from wilting.

They don't look like any of the reblooming cultivars that I'm familiar with which means they most likely only bloom on old wood. So if you ever need to prune them, make sure you do it immediately after flowering. If you prune too late in the year (or in the spring before they bloom) you'll cut your blooms off.

The bloom color is sensitive to pH--right now you've got one pink one and one blue one, but once you've planted them you'll find in future years that they'll either both end up blue or both end up pink depending on whether your soil is acidic or alkaline. You can amend your soil to change the pH if you prefer the opposite color from what they'd naturally be in your soil, but if you want to keep these two different colors make sure you don't plant them too close together, that way you can amend the soil around the one that needs it but leave the other alone.

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

I am not an expert by no means but the first picture looks like one I recently purchased named Strawberries and Cream. Atleast that is what the tag said the name was--realize they can be incorrect also. Where did you purchase your plants?

Mulberry, FL

Flea market

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

I think that I'm going to give them a try. I've got a friend that lives 20 minutes from me here in South Florida and she's had hers for 2 years and has grown and bloomed for her beautifully. She was soo excited the other day when she told me about it.

Mulberry, FL

They do grow here my friend grew one that was like a huge bush from a small plant from mothers day

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.