Norwalk, CT areaanyone interested in troughs?

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

I saw some amazing trough gardens at Olivers this morning and really want to try making my own hyper-tufa trough so I can try trough gardening. Let me know if you want to try this with me! B-T-W Gilberties has a class in trough gardening 4/30 (but I'll be away).
Tamar

Thomaston, CT

What is trough gardening? I have a friend who makes hyper-tufa pots, but his are just round and square ones....

Norwalk, CT(Zone 6b)

That's exactly what I would like to make--I'd like to make a rectangular one. I've read you can either make a form out of foam board or do free-form shapes. I've seen wonderful trough gardens at Olivers Nursery in Fairfield, CT, at Stonecrop Gardens in NY and at Wave Hill. Basically you create a little landscape with tiny plants that might get lost in the garden. The plants tend to be very short--just a few inches tall, with great little mound shapes. People use little alpines/rock garden plants or sempervirums. There's something incredibly charming about them.

Thomaston, CT

Sounds wonderful! My nephew lives near Wave Hill, & their alpine house is a treat!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.