Growing tender vines

Ada, OK(Zone 7a)

My zone is 7a. The traditional time to grow vegetables around here is April 10-15. I have several non-hardy vines I want to grow such as Beaumontia grandiflora (Herald's Trumpet) which is a zone 10 plant. It can't take the weather under about 30 degrees F.

I wonder if you can tell me if the seed itself could survive being planted outside about this time? I want it to come up in the sun to have a good strong stem.

There are other non-hardy vines such as Murraya paniculata (Orange Jasmine), which is a zone 9 plant, that I'm wondering about.

There's probably one final near-freezing night on Monday when the temperature will be in the upper 30s and then the nights will start being in the 50s and 60s. Thank you.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

mtilton,
I don't have experience with those particular seeds...but, other tender vines I have is that the SOIL temperature must be at least 55-70 degree's before these types will germinate. You can do a google search or go over the the Seed Germination forum and someone there maybe able to help you.
Make sure if you do direct sow that you mark and protect the spot well, so that heavy rain or critter's don't get do them in.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

When I sow seeds outdoors, I take a soft nursery pot, cut the bottom out of it, dig a hole where I want the plant to grow, set the pot down it the hole, fill with seeding mix, sow and label the seeds, water them in and cover with a clear lid of some sort. When the seeds have germinated and gotten big enough, I remove the cover AND the pot. This method keeps the vermine away from my seeds/seedlings.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Great idea Kay...did you get heavy weather this morning ?

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Oh, Yes! I have 2 hours worth of just picking up limbs from my dam Sycamores and Pecan trees!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I agree with Kay-
As a seedling, it should be kept protected from frost and planted once the danger is past. I was able to grow a very robust vine, which stayed in the ground permanently. It survived 2 winters with several freezes, however I think it bit the dust this last winter as I see no signs of new growth.
I've kept my observations on the vine in my blog/diary which may be of some help. I've grown the vine from seed, but found obtaining a larger specimen from a nursery enhances the chance of success in our zones that are below 10.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/rjuddharrison/5606/
Good luck with it, it is an extroidenary vine
Rj

This message was edited Apr 10, 2011 4:37 PM

Ada, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you all for your help!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.