Oh no,what's this?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

What's going on with these irises?

Thumbnail by bigred
Concord, NC(Zone 7a)

Hi Red, maybe they have some kind of nutrient disorder, maybe their too cramped up in the rocks and roots not able to spread and multiply well, maybe not getting enough nutrients because maybe too soggy and shaded maybe..i dont know im not sure, they otherwise look like their pretty healthy and growing though.did you put some bone meal on them, it might dry them out..maybe their planted too deep..you might want to dig one up and see if it has iris borers on the rhizome, i bet that could make the leaves at early stage start to get a whitish stripped mark on them while their still growing healthy..mike

South Hamilton, MA

Do cats or dogs come through your garden & do their thing? I've never seen irises look like that.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

it hasn't been that long since I seperated this area and I re-ammended the soil w/ compost before re-planting.A river birch is close but only shades in the afternoon. I live in a rural area/no leash law and this bed is next to the road.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

I don't know what it could be, but at least it looks like the new foliage isn't affected.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

If you had freezing weather after they began to grow, it may be just simple frostbite.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I had some with frost bite here in zone 6-7 but at the ends and edges of the leaves not in the middle. Also some that have been growing in shade as there isn't much sun (they rarely bloomed) but no discoloration like that. Our new house is in zone 7b-8a and although it was colder there than last year, no frost bite and nothing that looks like that. Never anything in the middle of the blade. Maybe the new blades will all continue to be ok.

Concord, NC(Zone 7a)

root boroer larvae can sometines cause simalar stripes as they are starting to drain the plants health by boring rhizomes affecting the plant. squash and pumpkin leaves can get pale and get these stripes at first if they have any kind of grubs in the steams or the vine of the plant.if you had iris root borer grubs though in the bulbs, the leaves only will continue to get lighter and lighter and sicklier..mike

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I guess I need to dig out one and check the rhizome

Gainesville, TX

maybe a drift from a weed killer.........

Concord, NC(Zone 7a)

you might just want to leave them for a few more weeks Red, because it shouldnt be more the 3-4 weeks till they bloom if their gonna bloom, that way you can enjoy them for this season before you disturb the roots..theirs no rush theyll be ok for a little while longer regardless of any problem..mike.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

No weed killer used in this area

Mike ,will do

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

bigred,
Do a search on Iris Mosaic Virus which is carried by aphids. I think Dee at Snowpeak Iris may be able to help you identify for certain and tell you how to treat this to keep it from spreading to nearby iris clumps. You will have to destroy them. So very sorry...hope it isn't Mosaic Virus. I know how very sad it is to lose an iris, especially ones that you are so fond of.

Nana3

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

It really does appear to be Mosaic Virus. I wouldn't take a chance.
Dig it up and treat the soil with bleach water.. Destroy and get rid of it---don't compost . bob

Concord, NC(Zone 7a)

Mosaic Virus in 'germanica' var: Iris, is as rare as hen's teeth, but it doesnt mean you dont have it though i guess..but try to find a pic of mosaic virus on a thick germanica leaf, i bet its gonna be hard to find one..iris germanica is poisonous, not even deer or rabbits will eat it.so why would aphids? any nearby rose bushes..mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.