From Buds to Flowers, Let's see Yours

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Asao today;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

'Asao' clem. is sharing a shady area with these Azaleas in the garden.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More Clematis buds will soon open. Let's share yours.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

More buds awaiting to open up this evening.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Very pretty Lily_love, what a delicate pink, and I love the stippling on that azalea bloom with the fuchsia on pink.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Cem9165, has dogwoods begun to bloom yet there where you're? This year clematis bloom a bit early here. Most other perennials are also breaking dormancy too. Azaleas are a must for the garden, recently I've added some native Azaleas.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, the white dogwoods are blooming now. I have a pink one that was planted 2 years ago that's not blooming yet. I do have Encore azaleas that are putting on lots of new leaves but they're not blooming yet. My clematis have lots of buds but no open blooms yet. It's much cooler here this week.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very nice Asao and azalea - they appear to be a match.

The only buds I have are on two of the new arrivals from Brushwood.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The weather has been cooler last week, but it's expected to warm up considerably this weekend Arnette. Arlene, when yours takes turn to bloom, we can prolong our enjoyment of Clematis from region to region. My garden open up in succession. For instance, after armandii finishes their blooms, Crossvine (interplanted with the clem.) will soon take off, behind the area are those 'Pride of Mobile' Azaleas that mingles with that soft speckled pink Azaleas.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Lily

So very beautiful. I look forward to this time of year when our Southern friends can share their photos. I love the azaela - I had thought about having clems weave their way through my azaelas and rhodies so I get a much longer season from them. Did you plant them at the same time? My azaelas and rhodies have been established for a number of years.....

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Carolynn, I'm glad you enjoy the blossoms. No, I didn't. I added on the clematis after the Azaleas were alread established. But that wasn't a good thing. Clem. requires a more alkaline soil. Whereas Azaleas need more acidic condition. That was the reason I have mentioned that I may have to move 'Asao' clem. above.

Athens, PA

Lily

I did wonder about that as well. Typically I don't fertilize my azaelas and rhodies, but when I do, I use an acid fertilizer. Guess I won't be putting that combo together - especially if you are thinking about moving yours.

Thanks for the heads up.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Carolyn, you're quite welcome. I hope you've had a fun filled weekend celebrating your b-day. :) Okay, here goes. I've been anticipating Niobe and Belle of Woking to Bloom. Today Niobe initiates the opening. B.o.W. Not so much.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Lily

so very pretty. Yes, we had a good time. Back to work today....

Very nice, Kim. Niobe does steal the show from BoW! Is that a cherry tree? It looks like a great match for the Niobe.

The good times always end too soon, Carolyn. Glad you had a good time.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, it's a double-bloom ornamental cherry "Kwansan" next to the clems. Arlene. Early in the season 'Yoshino Cherry' will bring in the Spring-like blossoms, then Kwansan will take turn after the Yoshino blossoms are done.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

This could be 'The President' clem. The color doesn't reflect a true purple. It appears blue here.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Niobe today. Belle of Woking still haven't opening up yet.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

The Kwansan goes so beautifully with Niobe.

It looks like 'The President' to me. I'll add my own photo so you can compare.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Arlene, oh there goes another mistaken identity. The President has reddish brown center. Mine has light colored one. Kwansan withstood an ice storm last weekend. The flowers petals were scattered everywhere on the ground with other green young leaves that were shredded. Early spring down South are turburlent at best.

I have one more photo that may help you with an ID.

While looking at so many clematis photos over the past two weeks I think there's a difference in many of them due to climate and/or soil, etc.

Hope this helps you, Kim.

Thumbnail by pirl
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Arlene, that's just about to confirm mine isn't the real 'The President'. I have one but it isn't at this one location, and this year it hasn't made flower buds yet. It's in the front of the garden interplanted with 'Multi-blue'. I'll keep looking for it true identity. Thank you for your help.

From the moment the center forms, until it's wide open, keep taking photos. Some appear white and then seem to change.

Athens, PA

Arlene - that is so pretty. Love the deep blue/purple color.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Belle of Woking finally opens up. Wooohoooo!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The double white B.o.W. has a currious maroon tinged edge;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nelly Moser to the left, and 'Dr. Rupel' to the right maybe?

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

What I think is 'Dr. Rupel' his coloring is more crisp, vivid than the other that I think maybe Nelly.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Nelly? The Flowers seem to be larger each year!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I wanted to call this 'F.H. Young' but not 100% sure on this.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

The Clem. is climbing up a Rose shrub;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another 'Niobe' in the shade;

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Athens, PA

Lily

so gorgeous. Every time I see Niobe, I keep thinking that I need to add him to my collection. Love that deep color.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Niobe and B.oW.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Another Clem. in a container planting training up a small arbor to the backyard. Share the spot are Roses 'Don Juan' Japanese Wisterias -- also in a container which it's badly needed to be.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Beautiful, Kim.

Belle of Woking is supposed to have that tinge of color. It fades as the flower ages. The actual color is generally listed as silvery mauve or light lavender.

I'd say yes to Nelly and the good Dr.

Yes to the Dr. on the next post. He is vivid!

Yes to Nelly! I love her.

I believe it's H.F. Young (also known as Horace Young) and it appears to be one and the same. You can check Plant Files to verify it.

Niobe in shade is divine. It's such a rich color.

Gorgeous wisteria with the rose!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Carolyn, I'm glad you like 'Niobe'. I do too. The clem. performs better in the sun, in the shade it produces less flowers. Arlene, many thanks for your confirmation on other I.D.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I finally have my first clematis bloom of 2011. It's m. Mayleen. Yipeeee!!!! The other clematis just have buds but no open blooms. It's going to be in the mid to high 80's this weekend, so maybe I'll have more blooms next week.

This message was edited Apr 8, 2011 8:43 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.