Viburnums in S. Texas ?

Dahlonega, GA

Before I take cuttings this summer from my viburnums , does anyone know how they do on the coast in south central Tex ? I want to plant them all along my fence to enjoy the scent and give a bit of privacy .I haven't really looked, but don't remember seeing any for sale down there .

Danville, IN

There are plenty of viburnums that do well in the South, but it depends on the type. What kind do you have in Georgia?

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Check the websites of TX gardens and arboreta, and see which viburnums they have in their collections. That should give you some idea of the range of species that might suit you.

Dahlonega, GA

Thanks , I had had a bit of trouble navagating some of the sites. Think my puter is having a bad hair day .

Dahlonega, GA

Hoosier , I have Korean Spice ,Mohawk , Juddii , Aurora . Hope at least one of these will be happy there .

Danville, IN

According to M. Dirr's book on viburnums, 'Mohawk' is fine for sure to Zone 8, the Koreanspice and its cultivar 'Aurora' of are fine to 7(8), which I understand means that for sure it's OK to Zone 7 and most likely into Zone 8. V x juddii is fine into Zone 8. South central Texas looks to be Zones 7 and 8, so all of your four viburnums should do fine. Viburnum Valley's advice is always knowledgeable and wise though.

Dahlonega, GA

I might be pushing it . I'm in 9-b down there .And , on the coast so the soil is sand and salty . Nuts . I'll get hold of Turners nursery in Corpus Christi and talk to the M G there to see what he recommends .Thanks , all . Digger

Danville, IN

Oh-h-h! I missed the word "coastal" in your description of the Texas location. I think your plan to get a hold of Turners Nursery is a good idea.

Dahlonega, GA

That was my fault .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.