More chicks

(Zone 5b)

I wrote this today but it went poof so resending it. I stopped at TSC just to buy chick feed for the new 8 straight run Cochins. TSC had red pullets so I got 10 of them, might as well raise then with the cochins since they're the same age, right? The AG store chick days start this weekend and I'm going to split an order of 6 Black Ast. with my friend. If all goes well then I'll have enough laying chickens. I need to get a dozen eggs a day for most of the year to keep up with all the eggs for my family. I'm kind of planning to have 2/3 of the chickens for laying hens, the other 1/3 can be eye candy/yard decoration.
I also bought one of those big metal tanks for the chicks. My rational for doing so what that I could scrub it out and when we have big BBQ's this summer I can fill it with ice, soda and beer. My husband thought it was a good idea LOL.
Really enjoying the new chicks, baby cochins are so darned cute! 4 are a grayish color, the other 4 are more black. I don't know if cochins can be sexed by color? I'll take some pics and maybe the Wing Queens can tell me if they're boys or girls. I just can't "see" the triangle of the wing yet to figure it out! I love hearing the sounds of contented peeping...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.