Have you seen the WHITE Salvia?!

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I was at Lowes today and saw this plant for the first time - it is simply gorgeous! Sad for me - a dear friend bought the last pot they had.

i havent even seen it and i want one !

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Which one? There are several... S. coccinea 'Snow Nymph' and 'Alba', S. patens 'Alba' and 'Trophy White', S. sclarea var. turkestanica 'Alba'. I think I've also seen some white cultivars of S. splendens and S. farinacea. I'm sure there are others that I'm not familiar with too.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Yup, Salvia's come in many colors besides the standard red/lavender that's seen in the big box stores...and MUCH nicer ones than they offer.
S. coccinea Snow Nymph does super well here in FL...and leaves just enough volunteers for the next season w/o spreading themselves all over the place like Coral Nymph does.

Thumbnail by mjsponies
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm trying 3 white ones this year.

Last year I did have Snow Nymph... very pretty. My additions [in seeds] are S. horminum Snow White and salvia scarea var. turkestanica alba

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I've looked at those...but I think would be too hot/humid here for them. )-;

Candor, NC

It could even be A. leucantha White Mischief, a form with all white flower spikes. Danielle's Dream is similar, with white spikes and rose flowers that aren't quite as large as they should be.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm growing S. pratensis 'Swan Lake' from seed.

London, United Kingdom

Salvia radula from S. Africa is white. Also S. canariensis 'alba'. Also there are white forms of S. pallida and S. durifolia from Argentina.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I bought this one last april at local mom and pop but it didn't have a tag

Thumbnail by bigred

I have Salvia farinacea aka Sallyfun white.

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

I have Victoria White growing here.

MJ sent me the one I have, so I have whichever one she has.

Candor, NC

I am completing a list of Salvias which are patented. I may not have all those that are applied for (PPAF).

S. leucantha `Daniel's Dream', with white calyxes and rose flowers is patented, but S. leucantha `White Mischief' (the all-white form) did mot make the cut, and there are no restrictions on its propagation.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Rich... are you coming to our Greensboro round up? I tried to get Susan to buy me a salvia from you last year (can't remember now which species) but she kept them all! Haha. Thanks for the info on the white salvias. One I started from seed last season is blooming now. I'll have to look I up to figure out which one I have there.

Candor, NC

The Greensboro round up is news to me. I hope it isn't going to be tomorrow or Memorial Day weekend, since I will be at other events.

Send me an email with details.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm Bumping this up.. Looking out for snowqueen.

Deb, I didn't find a google reference to Salvia 'snow queen' - can you post a link to it?

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

When I googled... all the references came up with Sallyfun Snow White. I believe the Sallyfun was mentioned above. (Salvia farinacea Sallyfun™ Snow White)

Prescott, AZ(Zone 7b)

I have Salvia sclarea var. turkestanica 'Alba', "Clary Sage". I grew it from seed last year and have several plants. I'm out of 2013 seeds but I will be collecting this year as everyone who sees the plant asks what it is. It is extremely deer resistant, I did have a gopher chewing on one though. Mia at Smartseeds has a nice selection of Salvia seeds.

Candor, NC

Don't forget S. greggii Texas Wedding, which was called the alba form previously.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

What about Augusta Duelberg?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I walked past an entire tray shelf of them today at a market reducing their plants ,sending them back.
The White Salvia had been a no sale here , I would of bought a few if I was carrying the funds
Would be a possible nice in a moon garden ..
Only I was after What I was went looking for today .
Too bad they were a no sale here . look of a frosty looking bloom ,, interesting anyway ..

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Mine were the first to bloom, and now nada. Will they rebloom or have a finite bloom period like so many others?

A.

p.s. I also lost my S. greggii in this crzy winter so i bought a new one this week 'Wild Thing!" Love the color. Similar to the one I lost. Have all my salvias under the porch so the hummingbirds hang around. It's awesome.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Amanda -- I grew "wild thing" by seed one year... it is a gorgeous plant.

I too lost a bit this past winter.... it was a bad year.

I'm currently shifting gears as I'm moving from zone5 to zone9 later this year.
can't wait to try all the new plants.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Therese ~ That is a big move!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yes it is.

scary a bit. Leaving everything we know behind - town we both lived in most of our lives....
but it will be an adventure. Very excited about all the new plants to learn about.

And that many Agastaches and Salvias that were annuals to me, now can be perennials.

Anna, IL(Zone 6b)

Everyone makes those white salvia sound in big demand. Show pictures - what are your planting them with. Companion plantings?? I've been one to pass on the white one and go for the blue, but I think I may have been missing out? Most of the blues act as a perennial in my zone. So are the white as tough as the blues that are sold as annyuals?

Just curious...........

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

My white salvia had a very short bloom time. I grew it from seed last season, maybe because it was immature the flowering season (early spring/summer) why it only flowered for a few weeks.

Didn't get any pictures. O well!

Therese - hope your move is /was going well! I'll be making a move I'm sure when I get a new job after finishing my master's degree this coming week. I would love to take all my plants with me. Don't know how that will work out. ;)

xo
A.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Amanda,

DH has made a 3rd trip down, this time the windows are being replaced.... We will be moving in mid-Oct, then be back in IL for our son's graduation.... then we will load up the final boxes.

From what my DH says... the neighbor, who is a new widow -- is hugely into gardening. He said I will learn a lot from her. ~~ Very excited about learning about Florida gardening.

I did find some A. Honey Bee Whites blooming in my yard up here in WI. Will have to mark the white ones so I can collect seeds from them.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Good grief, that's a huge move! How many zones you are going to change and how many new plants you get to try. Great that you have a neighbor you will be able to bond with immediately. moving is so hard.

A.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

I plan on moving, too...to the PNW! So tired of these hot summers.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

this one comes back for me.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's a nice stand of salvia, Debra. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.