Question About Dwarf Iris

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

I have a big box of dwarf iris bulbs...reticulata, danfordiae, Katharine Hodgkin. I've just bought a new house, and the bulbs are in cool, dark storage still. Is it too late to plant them and still expect blooms? I hope that my 'confusing' the bulbs hasn't damaged them...but I wanted to hold onto these until I moved...hoping this mix would be nice in a rock garden here...

Pleasant Grove, UT

Go ahead and plant them. I doubt that you will get any bloom but the bulbs may establish and bloom next year. They are best planted in the fall so they can go through a cold winter. Holding them any longer will only make it less likely that they will survive and grow. That's what I would do. Perhaps someone else has had a different experience.

Pleasant Grove, UT

I noticed that you are in zone 7. I am in zone 5 and the ones you mentioned have been in bloom here for several days. Would guess that in your area they would have bloomed sometime ago. Plant and hope they make it.

Columbia, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the input. That's what I expected. Having just opened all the bags...I noticed the bulbs are very dry and shrunken more than I expected...so they're definitely going in the ground this weekend. If they're not beyond being re-hydrated ... well ... here's hoping.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.