Browallia speciosa

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Does anyone know anything about this plant? Is it easy to start from seed? Is it easy to grow?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is easy from seed, started in flats indoors.

It grows best when days are under 80, likes dappled shade and an evenly moist soil. Peat based potting soil may stay to wet?

Here is a photo of a container, facing west in San Francisco - foggy and wind swept.

It is a moutain plant from the Caribbean, if I remember correctly.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Under 80* sounds like it's "out" for me. I think it's real pretty. I have a website from the Mo. of University Extension recommending this plant for shade in Mo. I wonder if it grows "okay" in the shade in this area. Temps get to 95* with high humidity. The website says: "Flowers best with limited fertility and dry conditions." I see it's an annual - so I am thinking it won't be worth me starting from seed now?
Thanks for the information.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is a spring annual here in Florida. As soon as it gets hot it dies. Not worth much.

I had great luck with it when I planted it in my Grandmothers shady garden bed in Minneapolis. She never watered it and it grew and bloomed all summer. Minnesota is a lot cooler than MO.

Ever try Ageratum? Needs a few hours of sun and it can take the heat and humidity.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Dale, thanks for the info. I don't think I will try to grow it.
I'm researching plants for two separate purposes:
1. A plant that will "spill" over the top of my landscape paver terraces that will bloom in the sun and heat. I haven't found much! Iberis (Candytuft) grows well here and blooms in the spring. Also, Aurinia saxatalis (Basket of Gold) which will bloom in the spring also. I have both started from seed via Winter Sowing. Both have germinated quite well, btw. I've also looked at Campanula 'Blue Chips' etc., but it likes cooler weather also. Phlox sublata grows well here also, but I'm not sure how well it will "spill". I think it would spread around in my terrace soil rather than spill over the top of it. I have planted a couple of Aubrieta, but again, it's a spring flowering plant and I'm not sure it will make it through the summer heat. I want something that gives me flowers not just something green. I have also thought of short clematis vines preferably Group 3 as I think they're the easiest to prune. In my opinion, they give the longest bloom and are much floriferous.
2. I'm also researching for plants that will grow in the shade other than the usual hostas, ferns and impatiens.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Birder, I'm from Lee's Summit, Mo. - I grew wave Petunias on my hill, as well as rose moss aka Portulaca - these two can't be beat for color and number of blooms. Creeping Phlox would work ok, but it's bloom period is very short.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Kay, thanks for your information. It is appreciated and you know, I hadn't thought of petunias. They will "spill" if given the opportunity. And yes, portulaca does bloom all summer long. However, I don't think it is a spiller. OTOH, it blooms prolifically and does not require a lot of care. The drawback is, they are annuals and have to be planted each year. I kind of wanted something I didn't have to re-plant. OTOH, they bloom all summer where perennials only bloom once for a shorter period of time. Maybe, I should mix petunias with something that is a perennial.
I guess the petunias and portulacas kept the soil from eroding on your hill??

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Yes, to some degree, but I also has ivy growing there, which looked great with the annual plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.