TB Iris Swap

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

CLOSED
This is to see if there is enough interest to have a TB iris swap this year. If you are interested, please indicate if named or unnamed and the quantity you would like to trade. I would want all rhizomes to be clean and free from dirt , dipped in the bleach bath and dried. If named, the name should be marked with permanent marker on the foliage. If unnamed then you'd need to post a picture from your garden. You will be paired with someone with similar wants. You may ask to be paired with more than one swapper.
The following have expressed an interest. If you are not listed in the addy exchange you'll have to Dmail me your address. We'll take sign ups until the end of May and pair trade partners shortly thereafter.

dd95172 10 named
DGcnm 10 named, 2 trades
estrail1rider 10 named only, modern or older
warriorwisdomkathy 10 unnamed, 3 trades
osteole 3 chocolate and 3 ColorTart
mittsy 10 named, 10 unnamed
doridunn 10 named
Debsroots 10 named
Crit 10 unnamed, and named
bluegrassmom 3 noids for 1 named
DeMinPa 10 unnamed, 2 trades
taj12 10 some named , some noid

This message was edited Jun 3, 2011 3:13 PM

This message was edited Jun 8, 2011 5:09 PM

Gainesville, TX

I am intrested.........too many to list right now but all would be named and healthy....how would we know not to trade for what we already have?

Depending on your list of named or unnamed, you would be matched with someone wanting to trade a similar number. ie You have 10 modern named irises, you'd be matched with someone who wanted to trade named modern irises. If you didn't care if they were modern or historic, you'd be matched with someone who might have both. If you only wanted pink, we'd try to match you with someone that had some different pink to trade. We're not going to limit it to traders who can trade 10 different, because some traders don't have 10 different. I hope this explanation helps,

Spicer, MN

'One' should say...Keep it simple. The Iris trades in the past have been successful as far as I know. Last year was my first so I don't have much background. I only know that sharing our iris is something very special.

It would be nice to again do this on David's Garden. The work involved is 'SO Much! and without many thank you's. It maybe good to take a year off the TBI and keep it to only the SDW.

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Mittsy,
I would be interested in a TB swap this year. 10 named rhizomes sounds okay to me. What I have done in the past, is to send my trading partner a listing (either through email or from my "have list " on DG for my swap partner to pick from. This has worked well for me to ensure I am sending varieties that are wanted. Are you going to run it ? Also, are you going to make a trip to Owensboro this spring ?? It looks like my bloom season will be a good one this year here at KY Lake, and should be going strong on May 1.

Picture: Main Street --L. Lauer 2009

Dennis

Thumbnail by dd95172
Gainesville, TX

Dennis your idea sounds good to me........my last trade was filled with iris that had live borers and mushy rhiz. I have been skeptical since..first time I had ever seen borers, we don't have them here.

Mine are listed in my DG journal, not all of which I have enough for trade, but most I have plenty of.

Sharon,
Did you inform the person you got the borers from that they have them? What did you do to get rid of them ?
I have never had borers yet...... knock on wood.

I would be interested ....... 10 sounds good.
Maybe it would be a good idea for everyone to give their iris a bleach soak and leave them air dry before sending. And really look them over good. Can't hurt.

Thumbnail by
Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

I have not been involved in formal trades but have sent many rhizomes all over the country and made a few informal trades. The cleanliness of the rz's is most important as there are many microbes and tiny critters in almost all soil. One that is under control in one area can explode out of control in another. I think all international orders must be certified as being soil free by an ag department before they can be received at the destination port of inspection.

I dig a clump and put it in a wheelbarrow filled with water, slosh it around to wash most of the soil away, make a preliminary cut of the leaves and roots, hose the rz with a nozzled hose, drop it into a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water, recheck for soil and if it is clean, drop it into another 5 gallon bucket of about 10-15% bleach, some Daconil and soap and let it sit there until the process is repeated. Once the system begins, it is something like an assembly line.

When they are taken out of the final treatment bucket, they are places in a dry shady spot to air dry. I do not rinse the bleach/daconil off but leave the treatment on for further protection. They should be planted without washing.

I made a slatted box about 18x36 inches to hold the rhizomes while they are pressure washed and inspected. Anything showing damage is junked. Final trim of roots and leaves is done just before packing and shipping.

Well-treated irises should look similar to this; ignore the pbf.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Newfield, NY

pagardener61-that is the name of that pretty iris on your page?

oldgarden-thank for the recipe for clen iris.i learn some new.cant wait to do the next tb swap

doridunn
The one on the post above is Batik. SDB

Newfield, NY

oh cool.i have that one.new last fall. thanks

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Batik is a Border Bearded, hybridized by Ensminger and registered in1985

yes it is, hard to keep them all straight.

Dennis, yes I am visiting my son and his family in KY in May. I am also doing a gourmet appetizer evening at the WKBG (Western KY Botanical Garden). I will be preparing and serving various tasty appetizers to a group called the Matchmakers who have funded a new conservatory. My son will be the guest speaker. I am looking forward to this fun evening. They have a wonderful collection of named irises, both historical and modern. Unfortunately many of the tags became separated from the clumps and they are in need of a volunteer that can help them. The previous iris volunteer moved away. If I were in town during the entire bloom period, I'd do it myself but unfortunately we are back in NY by then.

part of their tribute collection

Thumbnail by mittsy
Corrales, NM

I would love to trade. This will be my second year. I think checking your partners "have list" and their "wanted list" is a good way to give he/she
something that would be exciting. In my part of the country, the only preditor I know of the the cute little "bunny". I have never had borers or
iris rot. Thanks every so much for that.

Gainesville, TX

PA.......no I didn't inform the person, it was obvious the iris were bad.....I just threw them away.....I read her post through out the season and determined her to be a bit senile, ............and you know, we all may have to travel that road

We don't have borers in this part of the country, don't know why.

Yes, Old Garden I think I have some growing in OKlahoma that were sent by you.Thanks

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

I would be interested. 10 ...I could do more modern or both.
Named only please

This message was edited Apr 3, 2011 7:24 AM

Spicer, MN

Tradig Iris among our membership IS so gratifing! I'm in if there is enough interest. It will be a good thing if everyone honors
the commitment of the trade. I know 99% of Iris Lovers will do this.

I'm already looking forward to the trades that I received last year when they bloom.

It's all good! Sharon 3

South Hamilton, MA

For KY volunteers to check iris names, as the regional vice pres. (RVP). they should be listed on the AIS site irises.org.

Gainesville, TX

I will name the ones I have for trade after they bloom this year, all named

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm interested, I have both named, but mostly unnamed.

Boise, ID

I am interested but WAAAAAY new at this. I have white and brown/maroon ones, they are both unnamed. I have others that i have names of, but not sure how many available of them. I can trade 12 white unnamed, 8 brown/maroon unnamed, 1 Loop De Loop named, and 1 Bal Masque named for sure. The rest i will have to spy on tomorrow.

Thumbnail by irislover10
Boise, ID

Oh and can someone tell me how to do the bleaching so i can do it right? Thanks!

Irislover10 , see Oldgardenrose"s Post #8462366 post a few posts above. I think she gives excellant information on the subject and a good how to.

Boise, ID

Okay thankyou!

Boise, ID

Quote from Oldgardenrose :
I have not been involved in formal trades but have sent many rhizomes all over the country and made a few informal trades. The cleanliness of the rz's is most important as there are many microbes and tiny critters in almost all soil. One that is under control in one area can explode out of control in another. I think all international orders must be certified as being soil free by an ag department before they can be received at the destination port of inspection.

I dig a clump and put it in a wheelbarrow filled with water, slosh it around to wash most of the soil away, make a preliminary cut of the leaves and roots, hose the rz with a nozzled hose, drop it into a 5 gallon bucket of soapy water, recheck for soil and if it is clean, drop it into another 5 gallon bucket of about 10-15% bleach, some Daconil and soap and let it sit there until the process is repeated. Once the system begins, it is something like an assembly line.

When they are taken out of the final treatment bucket, they are places in a dry shady spot to air dry. I do not rinse the bleach/daconil off but leave the treatment on for further protection. They should be planted without washing.

I made a slatted box about 18x36 inches to hold the rhizomes while they are pressure washed and inspected. Anything showing damage is junked. Final trim of roots and leaves is done just before packing and shipping.

Well-treated irises should look similar to this; ignore the pbf.

THANK YOU THIS IS SOOOO HELPFUL TO US NEW GARDENERS... WELL, NEW IRIS TRADERS I GUESS I SHOULD SAY! I'M NOT THAT NEW AT GARDENING LOL.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

The bleach mix is about a quart to 2.5 gallons of water or 2 quarts to 4 gallons. A generous squirt of concentrated dish soap adds to the cleaning factor. The Daconil is optional but will help prevent any fungal diseases if the rhizomes are not planted right away.

Just remember, bleach is harsh to the skin and you do not want to expose your hands to a very strong mixture. I burned the top layer of skin off my left hand a few years ago and learned the hard way. I use 'barbeque tongs' to handle the rhizomes in and out of the bleach bucket.

South Hamilton, MA

Be careful when you slosh. I have a pair of corduroy pants, now only used for gardening, rather than public view that received some 'shoshed' bleach.

Boise, ID

Very helpful thank you! This forum is so informative i love it!

I've updated the info in the first thread, if you want to participate, and are not listed, then please dmail me with your number and type. If you are listed, please check your type and quantity. If you want to trade with more than one partner, please indicate that as well.

This is one of my noid rises, I call it beautiful, Enya. Thank you for trading with me.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

...I could do more modern or both. Can do named or un-named or both. Let me know what you really need in case you have a shortage of one.
Prefer named only in return, please.

Newfield, NY

just found my sature iris. is total dead.so sad paid big buck for that one

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

yes am still interested in either named or unnamed, I mostly have unnamed tho, will check out my iris tomorrow, could probably do 30 or so, every year I go to an iris farm and dig unnamed as a large clump, many are modern, I always get carried away(lol) and come home with sacks of iris from Long's Iris Gardens (Boulder, Co.). I will be moving most of my iris this summer,(if I have enough time,lol), to a new border outside of main garden in unfenced area, found out the deer dislike iris and leave them alone,yeahhhh. Ya, should have 30 or more to do trading with. Thanks, Kathy.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

If you decide to go with more than 10 in the swap, I can do that, too.

No, I won't do that. You would have to do multiple trades to go over the 10.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Just wanted to know what you wanted...I thought 10 was the #.
TY
Deb

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like to participate. All of my iris are named, unfortunately, frisky puppies have separated the tags from the plants. So if you would like some adventure in trying to ID them, then I am the person you need to trade with.

Gainesville, TX

I think I will back out this year......maybe next season
Mittsy your Enya has a strong resemblance to my Persian Berry

Sorry, but I understand. Some years are not kind to us iris gardeners. My sis sent me pictures of the flooding in our area. Great for the Japanese, but not good for the TBs.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I would also like to withdraw. Having some back problems, and probably couldn't dig when it was needed. Thanks anyway.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.