Labeling Seed Packets

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

When you put a seed packet together what do you write on it to identify it other than the common and botanical name?

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I usually put planting , mature height , annual or perennial, color, any specific info like stratifying or scarifying. I usually send a note card along with it since most of the info wont fit on a tiny seed label...lol

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

Be sure to put your DG name on it, in case the receiver has a question, they can contact you. If it is a plastic bag do not write on it in ball point ink. It can be too hard to read. I usually put common name and latin name, then color, light, zone, (if perennial) Height, DG name and year collected. I put both names on it, because some common names are different in other parts of the country.

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Good point a out the common name, Robynznest. I hadnt taken that into consideration.

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

It does help,I've been in swaps where I've got seed packs that have a common name and nothing else, so I guessed at it and when it bloomed it was nothing like I wanted. and the different kinds of one flowers come into factor too. A seed pack that is just labeled Zinnia really is ok if you don't care b ut if you are wanting a red not an orange or a flower that is a certain size, then all that time is wasted. I am proud of the seeds I send and want whoever gets them to know what I am sending, a good trade will help you get what you want.

St. Annaparochie, Netherlands

I like trading seeds with gardener outside of Holland, but it is always a big puzzle for me to found out what the latin names are. Most traders write down the common names on the packeges. It is not a big problem for me but it would be easyer for me you also write down the latin names on the seed label.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2011 12:17 PM

gieten, Netherlands

i write always the latin name so everyone can find this on the computer
and a picturse of the plant

Thumbnail by bartjestuin
Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks. There is so much to put on the packets and so little room. I am making up some really nice but generic templates that I will post up in the template section and wanted to put some blanks for labeling them. I found the decorative templates online but I am having to do some modifications.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> There is so much to put on the packets and so little room.

Agreed! I use a laser printer so that 10-point or even 8-point type is legible. Then I print double-sided, using a table on both sides of the opage, that have been tweaked to line up with each other when printed double-sided.

Corey

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

All great ideas!! WHEN I've had the time, and when I go to RU with my seeds, I love putting a picture of the plant or bloom on the front and all info on the back. Hardy Zone (if per.) Sow time (Fall, Spring) Maturity Height, and then of course my DG name, Latin & Common names. (the example here is lacking, but it does include a good picture of the bloom)

I have had people send me seeds in ziplocs, which is fine, especially when they give all details on a note inside the ziploc.

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Here are what mine look like .. I use #1 Coin Envelopes and Avery 8163 shipping labels .. I'll include those tiny ziplock baggies for really tiny seeds with a label inside the bag.

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

ooh i like those!! good job!
The one I posted ISN'T my best work ;-)
I actually have done better hehe

Well, actually, mine look a LOT like Bart's

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 10:01 AM

This message was edited Mar 31, 2011 10:01 AM

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks .. if you get the Free Avery software with templates for all of their labels it's a piece of cake to do.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Something I'm working on for New Bee Seeds ...

Corey

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Port Norris, NJ(Zone 7b)

Rick - beautiful pics - great job overall :)

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks.

I get pics from PlantFiles, asking the photographers for permisssion.
The info also comes from PlantFiles.
The seeds come fromt he contributors to "Free Seeds For New Bees".
The printer comes from work.

I hardly do anything!

Corey

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

I edited something I found online. They are cute but it takes a lot of time to cut, fold, and glue them so I would not use them for a mass amount of seeds but here is what I did....

Thumbnail by TriciasArbonne
Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

Botanical name is a must if you know it or can look it up. Many plants have the same common names. For instance, Hummingbird plant can mean:

Salvia Elegans
Ipomoea Multifida
Ipomoea Quamoclit
Campsis Radicans

And probably a few others.

Someone in another state traded me some "Princess Feathers". The princess feathers I'm familiar with are Celosia, so that's what I expected. What I got was actually Cosmos.

I put the botanical name, followed by common names if I know them, and the Cultivar name if I know it.

I usually don't put other info since people can research it themselves from the botanical name. I've found that even measurements aren't accurate. I've sent plants that grow 7 ft tall for me, but in North Dakota, they may only grow 3 or 4 ft tall. In FL, they may grow 10 ft tall. Thru research, you can sometimes find measurements in your part of the world. And by researching yourself, you often find other interesting tidbits.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Yeah, I made a space for both the common and botanical name on the from of the envelope. I am using my envelopes mostly to give to friends and family who will most likely not even think of taking the time to research anything. They will just look at the instructions and plant, if even that.

For the "traders" they really don't need much info other than year harvested, botanical and common names, color would be good, and a picture would be nice. I also think that if it is organic then that is nice to note also.

I'm not as concerned about organic seeds especially for flowers but if someone takes the time to grow them organically then it deserves a mention.

I have found that even annual or perennial can be deceiving depending on the plant and the zone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.