First Hummers of the Year!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I'm so excited! I've been waiting weeks to see if the hummers would return to mt BF/HB garden and last night as I was sitting on my back patio. I was blessed with not one, but two little Hummers! One was male for certain and I think the other may have been female since she lacked the beautiful ruby colored throat. They made several trips to the Coral Honeysuckle vine I have growing on a Trellis next to the patio before flying up unto the trees! Hopefully by seasons end, we'll have new additions to the Hummer family!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Congrats!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks! Only wish I had my camera at the time, but that would have required me to put down Margarita and get up outta my comfy lawn chair ;)

Berne, IN

That is wonderful, send some up our way.

Portland, TX(Zone 9b)

I saw a male ruby throat today stealing some sips from my red yucca bloom. No pics here either, but it was good to see him anyway.

Russell

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I have 4 big windows in my bedroom and sit in bed drinking coffee every morning. Then I saw zip, zip, zip! A hummer checking out my Red Ruffles azaleas! It's so much fun watching those little guys. Time to put out my feeders. Janet

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I've put feeders out for the last 3 years - they hardly bother with them! between the Salvia, Shrimps Plants, Coral Honeysuckle and Cape Honeysuckle... The Hummers seem to have enough food to last them all season. Still, I end up putting a feeder out for them...lol, just wouldn't seem right if I didn't

Hillsborough, NC

Yippee! Today I sighted a hummingbird at the feeder -- we usually don't see any until mid-April. Bad news is temperatures tonight will be in the 30s with a chance of frost. Sure hope the little fella finds a way to stay warm!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

Im sure he'll find a cute little female to snuggle up to in a nest :)

Hillsborough, NC

Now, that's a comforting thought! I hope he did 'cause it was pretty chilly last night :-)

West Palm Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

cue_chick: have your little hummer friends send their friends my way - I want some hummers! :(

will have to purchase some nectar plants later this week....after I spray my veggie garden.

Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK(Zone 7a)

I was looking at a HB migration map, and it showed one was sighted somewhere in our area on 3/21. I went ahead and put up 2 feeders today in case there are any 'scouts' out there. We had probably 50 birds here last year. My neighbor down the road feeds them too. ^_^

Saw my first hummer today. I knew they had been around because the nectar in my feeder was going down and it doesn't evaporate. Nothing blooming for them here yet except clematis! Going to put up the rest of the feeders this weekend.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

My neighbor saw some at her feeder on Monday. Daffodils, forsythia and quince are blooming here. I put my feeder out today. I am surprised that they are here this early. Our last frost date is May 30 here in zone 6a.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i have been thinking of when our friends would hit here (utah).. with all the chilly weather everywhere i wondered
if it affected their migration north...
i keep seeing out of corner of my eye something in one of my big picture windows.. so i made some
syrup today.. i'll be putting it out..just in case they are back..
anyone in utah seeing any hummers??

Manning, SC(Zone 8a)

First one in my gardens showed up Thursday morning, the 28th, one day after I put up my feeders!! Went out and bought a fifth feeder yesterday, may buy another today. I love these little guys!!

I put up two earlier when I heard they were sighted around here 3/21. Have a couple of pairs I have seen. Going to put the others up right now. I love them too. Last year I probably had 50!!! So cool!!!!!!

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i cleaned up my 2 feeders..and made syrup last nite..
its pretty cold here..still..sigh.. but i doubt the hummers know that..LOL
so i put them up this afternoon.. just in case some early ones are here..and they
would have something to eat..
looking foward to their arrival...

I have a curious question. What does it 'mean' when the hummingbirds chirp? Are they just claiming territory to the feeders, or it is something to do with mating, etc.?

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

At my house it means they are protecting their territory feeder(s).

Possessive little critters. ^_^ I love watching them dash in and out, here and there. As long as it takes my camera to focus on something, they are gone!!! But I DO love watching them.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Those that can't use the feeders go to my Black & Blue Salvia, Turk's Cap and the 'Rasberry Wine' monarda. So they don't starve here, just have to sneak around. LOL!

Medina, OH

First hummer of the season arrived on Saturday, 4/30. Two weeks earlier than usual. Another male arrived on Sunday. They spar at the feeders (I have two of them several feet apart). Guess it is a sure sign of Spring, but the weather surely does not reflect it.

I would like to get some monarda. Had a couple people were going to send me some, but haven't. I tried to start it from seed, but had a bad damping off problem. Will have to try again. I have seen at least 6 at one time, and I think there were a couple on the farther away feeders at the same time.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Crit, try your local box stores. They carry bebalms in the herb and veggie section for very reasonable price. I love mine, they attract butterflies and brighten up the corner of the garden where you plant them.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I love them...not sure they would come up from seed, but they do spread nicely once established. I can try to send some stems with roots if you like. I know the leaves would wilt, so I would cut them in advance. LMK by dmail.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

yippeeeee. Saw a lonely male hummer last evening. Hope he finds a girlfriend! My little bluebirds are getting ready to fly also.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

very cool you all in the south are seeing hummers..
i think some (depending on what hummers) have made it to northern AZ..and some parts
of colorado.. so im guessing there are some in southern utah by now.. so wont be long
for me...
YEA

They are buzzing and dashing around here like crazy. As far as I know, the ruby-throated are all we get.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

YEA !!! saw my 1st hummer here wed.. im glad i put up the feeders.. i dont know how much food is out there
this early around here...
for yrs now they nest in huge pine trees next door.. they buzz down to my gardens for flower nectar..and from my feeders
its great to see them every spring.. sort of an announcement.. summer is almost here
yea!!!!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

aha,, he has a girlfriend. Saw her at the feeder this evening!! yeh

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

i guess the fires and high winds took them further east. I have had feeders out for over a month here and nothing spotted. If they came through they didn't stay long.

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I managed to grab a quick pic of the first hummer I've seen this season at our feeder yesterday afternoon.

Thumbnail by jab91864

I've noticed mine like the feeders with the little perches better than the one they have to hoover at.

Saint Louis, MO

ah.....spotted a little Ruby Throated Hummingbird visiting my flowers today. I put my feeders out 2 days ago....so glad that I did. It was a welcome site....

I'm in Creve Coeur, near St. Louis, MO

Buffalo, MN(Zone 4a)

I saw a Ruby Throat at my feeder this afternoon-I was so excited! Then when my dog was taking me for a walk, we saw a Loon eating a fish on the lake. I've never seen one actually eating before. Of course, I didn't have my camera handy for either sighting:)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Happy Birthday, Crit. Hope you had a wonderful Day,
Elaine

Thank you Elaine. Was very nice!

The hummers were very active yesterday morning, wish I could have stayed home from work to watch them a little longer !!!

Thumbnail by jab91864

another

Thumbnail by jab91864

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.