I've heard that one should use caution with iris around dogs

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Toxicity of the rhizome, I believe.

My question is - should siberian iris be treated the same way?

I'm helping a cousin plan her new garden with lower maintenance plants that she may not be able to kill; she likes the look of iris and the fullness of siberians in particular. She has two rotties and a diva of a golden retriever.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I think it depends on the dog. My old dog would never had chewed on a plant. My new one chews everything.
I don't know just how toxic they are, just make one sick or? And how much they would have to consume? I would think with dogs that large, they would have to get a good sized piece eaten. My little toy poodle, maybe a smaller piece would sicken him. Would be interesting to know. But the truth is, there are many plants that can make people or dogs sick. I think dogs are not even supposed to have onions, and my yard is full of those unfortunately :(
Maybe she could use some fencing? I have some small wire fencing I got at Walmart and it is about 18inches tall, and just pushed into the ground. The dogs don't like it, so they stay away from it, only way I could keep my neighbor's dogs from trampling everything. It is a thin metal, wire, so from a distance, I don't even notice it much. In fact, I seen one of the neighbors dogs run into it once, not realizing it was there. I think you can get similar fence at Lowes or Kmart, in green, white, black or pewter colors, ect. I have had mine for nearly 8 years and it still looks nice.

Tomah, WI

I really wonder how toxic iris rhizomes are. I have found many a newly planted iris that have been dug or pulled out & chewed to nothing by squirrels. They keep comming back for more. Doesn't seem to bother them at all! The same at a several of my friends gardens.

I have been told that deer eat iris, although I am sure just the green tops, probably not the rhizome.

Lebanon, OR

Most animals will not bother rhizomes I have the farm filled with iris and a dog from the age of 6 weeks to 2 years old and never once has she done anything except to knock them over.

The deer will eat the green and pull up newly planted sometimes but the goats, horses, sheep chickens, and geese never once touched them

D

Gainesville, TX

I am with Dee....don't think they are toxic at all

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Any pets I've had here have never touched them, and the most the wildlife does is pull them out of the ground, and eat the leaves. I don't know if they are toxic, but obviously they are not tasty.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

They are listed several places as toxic, including the ASPCA database. The toxic principles appear to be concentrated in the rhizomes. I'm not sure I've ever seen a dog do more than dig one up so not sure the chances of a dog actually eating enough to get sick. Maybe d-mail palmbob and ask for a vet's opinion?

http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/poison-control/Plants/iris.aspx

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/poison/Iris_sp.htm

I guess one of the handy things to know would be symptoms, if your dog did eat them, what would you look for?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Some symptoms from the links above are - salivation, drooling, lethargy, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, elevated temperature following ingestion; skin irritation upon contact with seeds, rootstock, or cell sap. Highest concentration in rhizomes.

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.