Where to order dahlias?

Cartersville, GA

I have grown dahlias for years but have only one now. I'd like to add more to our garden. Please tell me some good sites/online nurseries from which I can order dahlias and get good size tubers for my money. Thank you in advance.

Doris

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

This message was edited Apr 7, 2011 7:39 PM

Cartersville, GA

Thank you, Ernie. I will check these out tonight. I am ready to place an order and want to make sure that I will get decent plants or tubers. I knew this would be the place to ask.

Doris

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

eweed, does Swan Dahlias send tubers or propagated plants??

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Swan Island sends tubers. Mine are sprouting as I type...LOL

Corralitos Gardens is the only one I know of who sells cuttings. Looks like all but their last shipping date is full.
http://cgdahlias.com/

Yes, I ordered from them last year and have a shipment coming May 2 and 8. but I really do prefer the tubers. Then I propagate my own plants. Lots to give away. the propagated plants don't seem to develop tubers very well. Going to try something different this year in the fall involving phosphorus and leaving them in the ground for two weeks after first frost. Is supposed to encourage tuber growth. I do love Corralito's selections though. Very nice people to do business with.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

This message was edited Apr 8, 2011 2:58 PM

I apologize eweed. I didn't mean to pre-empt or offend. I was just interested in your experience with Swan Dahlias.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

Not sure I correctly understand the tone of your comment eweed. I've never seen anyone reprimanded for sharing info on DG and did not realize I should not have interjected, despite the fact the question was addressed to you. Whenever I've addressed a question to one person and five respond, I consider myself extra fortunate.

Since I have purchased from both companies, intend to continue to do so and did not state any negative comments regarding either, I don't feel my comments were offensive. My comment re: Corrolito's being almost full was so anyone ELSE reading this post (70 views) would know to hurry and get their order in.

thanks CMoose - I really didn't know how to handle this. I have never run into it before and thought I may have broken some sort of rule. I have always enjoyed the 'joi de vivre' sharing and 'the more the merrier' attitude on DG.

North Pole, AK(Zone 1)

mstella...you are welcome and ditto to what you said :-)

I grew up in Fairbanks and lived there 37 years. Moved here in '91. I send plants north to my MIL and some friends; one even lives in north pole. Way different gardening there than here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.