little ants in compost pile

Richmond, VA

I started my compost pile in November. It is inside of 4 wooden pallets that I attached together. Anyway, I went to turn it this weekend and noticed a ton of little, orange ants in one scoopful. They are not fire ants. I've only added shredded leaves, grass, coffee grinds, and green kitchen scraps to my pile. I don't know where they are coming from (other than maybe the pallets themselves?) as I've not added any wood to the compost pile. I poured some hot, not boiling, water on there but it didn't seem to do much to hurt them.

The interior of my pile is always over 100 degrees a few days after turning, so I thought that would not be hospitable to ants. Should I be concerned or just let it go?

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

Richmonder - as long as they are not fire ants, or termites, I would leave them alone. Ants are considered "beneficial insects" - some plants are pollinated by ants. They are probably enjoying the heat from the compost pile to keep their nest warm.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Uh, orange ants? Did they have long black legs? If so, they weren't ants...

Post a pic so we can be sure they were not Stinkbug nymphs. If so, PROBLEMS ahead...

Richmond, VA

Well maybe they were more brown than orange. Either way, they were definitely ants.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Ok.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.