Bay Tree

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Does anyone grow their own bay leaf, I have heard that it will make a nice house plant as long as it get enough light , etc
If so can I start it from a cutting, or???

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi, Annabelle:

You may wish to start with a plant. Bay is notoriously difficult to start from cuttings or from seeds (they germinate or root so slowly, they often rot). That explains why bay plants are more expensive than other herb plants to purchase! I experimented with cuttings this fall, and after 6 months, did not get a single one to root.

Since bay is not hardy in our zone, you need to bring it in to overwinter. I've kept mine going for about 4-5 years now without any difficulty. They are a rather slow grower, so you don't need to worry about it overtaking your house any time too soon.

I love fresh bay, and it makes a very attractive plant.

Windsor, CT(Zone 6a)

Since space is tight in my house, (and I don't get much light) I overwinter my bay in the unheated garage. So long as it doesn't dip below 40 degrees in there, all kinds of plants make it to spring just fine. Just don't forget it's out there! Ya still need to water occassionally.

(Ang) Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

nedweenie, I'm glad I found this post and read what you said. I want to add Bay to my herb container collection. I've read that it's hardy to 8a but there is a resident in my city who has it planted in the ground. It's been there for many years. I don't think I'll have the same luck with it in a container so I was hesitating. I have cats and it's toxic but I have a room that stays at around 50 all winter. Perfect for it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.