Birds, Butterflies, and Other Beloved Babies #15

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I thought it may be time for a new thread...

We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150762/#new

Field Sparrow

Thumbnail by duckmother

Yellow-Rumped Warbler....or Myrtle Warbler

Thumbnail by duckmother
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Awww, I wanted one of those pretty Field Sparrows, Kim. I love to watch the 'Butter Butt' engertic flittering on young sprouting leaves and flowers buds around this time of year. They seems to be constantly on-the move. Thank you for the new thread.

Great Blue Heron.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Nice GBH, Kim.....even if they do eat baby ducks! lol BBs are very fun to watch. I am surprised that you don't have field sparrows...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Oh no! I didn't know that GBH would eat babies ducklings. Bad big birds! I've yet seen one that pretty. I've other sparrows, such as chipping, white throated ect.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The back yard is teeming with bird and animal activity right now, but I don't have pictures. So I'll just share one of my favorite daffs. It actually turned out half-way decent. The picture and the daff ^_^

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Finally a critter picture to post ... General T Sherman, resident groundhog. My flower pictures turned out decent for a change. This one, not so much.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Flower pics are better. Don't know why. ^_^

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, of the pic. of the General, Carol. At least you got a chance to see him. lol.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

He's a regular. But hard to photograph because he always has his head stuck down in the grass eating. Such a hog! ^_^

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Looking right at ya!

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, that's a good one! ^_^

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

What is the plant?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Carole, I think the plant is "Mother of Thousands"? Some calls "Mother of Millions" since it gives off gazillions offsprings. They bear attractive flowers during the winter.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I thought it looked like that ... a Kalanchoe then? Anyway, the pic is great! ^_^

I took a few pix the other day...

American Goldfinch...male is changing colors

Thumbnail by duckmother

Another...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Yellow-rumped Warbler aka Myrtle Warbler...taken at sunset

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I caught this little fellar the other day while I was taking pictures of flowers. He just couldn't decide what to do with his nesting material. He kept flying into the azaleas with it and then back out again. Maybe he lost his nest!! LOL

Kim can tell us what kind of bird he is.

This message was edited Apr 13, 2011 10:39 AM

Thumbnail by cperdue
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Charlotte, the bird that stands on your brug is a Brown Thrasher. If he/she continues to fly in and out of the Azalea bush, chances are high that they're building a nest within the shrubery. Congrats! Lovely Goldfinches Kim. Kim2

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim2. So glad to hear from you. Hope all is well with you! The birds seem to like all my shrubbery! I find nest all over the place. I just found a nest in the wisteria yesterday. It's a long story but this particular wisteria just will not bloom and it needs to be trimmed but don't want to disturb the nest.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Charlotte for thinking about us. Things are fare to Midland here. Spring activities is in full swing. The birds nesting this season is robust. One source of joy that I can count on...
I can relate not to trim shurbery around this crucial time of nesting. I've a Rose arbor in the front that I allow it to be 'naturel' until those Brown Thrashers are done raising their babies, also.

I took a few pix...

Yellow-Rumped Warbler aka Myrtle Warbler aka Butter-Butt

Thumbnail by duckmother

Woodpecker prior to rain...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Eurasian Collared Dove

Thumbnail by duckmother

Female Cardinal...almost too close to me...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Male House Finch

Thumbnail by duckmother

Mockingbird early in the morning...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Goldfinch and Indigo Bunting...

Thumbnail by duckmother

Male Mourning Dove...

Thumbnail by duckmother
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Nice pictures Kim!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks Kim for those nice pics. Here is my share; a Great Blue Heron sunbathing. ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Wonderful pictures Kim I love the buntings.
Kim (lily) I love the herons. they are so majestic to me. I also love their bark.
I haven't really got any good pictures lately. I am either to late ,out of focus range, or shooting through a dirty windshield. I did get to my camera quick enough today to get a shot at a fox. I have seen them several times cutting across the yard but never have the camera handy.
This also reminds me of a story this week that is absolutely true. My son Josh's wife kept hearing a noise out back that almost sounded childlike wailing. She knew it must be some animal distress sound so she sent Josh out to investigate. Just inside their woods a fox had a rabbit in his mouth but the poor fox was in the mouth of a coyote. It never dawned on him to take a picture with his phone. He ran back inside to get his gun but by the time he got back out there was nothing but fur. Course we all had to tease him about maybe he had had 1 too many Millers. Said he hadn't had time to kick back and have one yet before the double homicide starting commencing.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Shot these through the windshield. Are these Indigo Buntings

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Somekind of sparrow

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Every body hanging out after the rain. We set a new record here yesterday for the most rain in 24 hrs.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

I believe this cow bird and Festus were discussing how he should get up and stir a few bugs up for his supper.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Well Look at the cowbirds face. I think he got a sight more movement than he bargained for. .What a view.

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Barn Swallow?

This message was edited Apr 22, 2011 11:06 PM

Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

So what is spring with out a Robin.

Thumbnail by Riverland

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.