Spring 2011 RU INPUT

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We need to be thinking about the Spring 2011 RU.

Date and Place.

Saturday's always seem to have worked out best.
June probably.

Ideas?

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

I would like us to determine the central point for all members. I am just not able to drive as far as to Joyce's, and would still like to participate in the RU. I know that I may be in the minority, but if there is any way to make it central to most, maybe the attendance would be better. JMHO.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Something on the river again would you say?
Not saying that because we're here...lol!

Need to hear from the west and north obviously.

I actually don't care where it is or care to choose.
It just seems to be getting late and needs to be addressed.

And for the record the last one just happened to be near Joyce's.
First was by me, tabasco and Chele.
Second by Mellisa etc.....

It will always be near someone, far from some others.

Columbus, OH

I am fine with the general location that you've had it before. DH likes to drive, he likes day trips and drags me shopping on the way home.

Ric, I know the logistics are not easy to work out where it would be central for all of us. But we really need to consider the southerly folks, as the Ohio River Valley encompasses Kentucky and as far north and east as Pennsylvania, not that there are any PA people who frequent the forum.

Let's just sort of do an unscientific survery and let people tell us how far they are from Cincinnati, and go from there.

Columbus, OH

I am about 90 min from Cincinnati.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I was not going to weigh in on this but since I've been emailed for my response...

When Melissa found Chilo Park, part of the reasoning for it was to find a location central to the furthest away and most reliable members that always attend. For Melissa, me and the Cincinnati people, it's usually about an hour to anywhere. For the northern KY people, it's maybe half an hour further. At the time, George and Neal were close together and figured in at 81 miles. It was about an hour and a half for Mystic, a little over an hour for me.

To Chilo Park

Lou-118 miles
Bonnie 112 miles
Sue 113 Miles
Esther 115 Miles
Newark 156 Miles
Marcy 105 Miles

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Bear in mind, I'm not suggesting Chilo Park. I'm nearly pointing out that, she took the furthest points and figured somewhat of a center.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

No Chilo is a great park and certainly a viable suggestion.

Last years RU at Armco is roughly the same distance for Bonnie,
maybe 10 miles further but all Hwy.
But obviously much closer for Esther/Bob, Sue, Di and Lou/Dave.

Woodland Mound drops Bonnie down to about 80 miles or so.

Like I said I don't really care where we hold it.
And it's kind of a logic puzzle as where is central depends on,
who is coming which many times depends on,
what date we have it.........

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

As I said, I'm not suggesting Chilo Park. Bonnie had asked about the distance for everyone.

When Bonnie went to Chilo, she drove to her sister's, was able to take a break, then travel with a companion (always nice to have someone to talk to). She said above that she's not able to travel so far north.

Moving it further north, several of the more southern people didn't attend at all. A couple that did, were pretty unhappy about it.

I'm at the point, that I have to bring/take two cars to go. 7-8 other bodies go where I go and I also bring a ton of plants. The plants themselves required two cars for the last RU that I attended! That's twice the gas, no matter where it is.

Maybe it's time for separate northern and southern RU's and people can travel to where they feel most comfortable. It won't get any easier as everyone gets older or when members are not well. Some people can drop and go whenever they want. Others cannot. I personally have several others that I have to consider. I also worry about some of the older folks having to travel so far. I know I do not enjoy a long drive.

I'm not pushing for any location. I don't know that I'd attend. Those are the numbers I had.

Bonnie, I'm 40ish miles from Cincinnati. LOL It was 43 miles, door to door to my other house.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Well it doesn't really matter to me...as long as I can get Dave to drive it!
As someone said...it will never please everyone I think.
I have liked all the locations so far....so can't complain.
You all just could come to MY house..then I wouldn't have to travel at all!!!
We have plenty of parking...plenty of room...and indoor AND outdoor bathroom...lol...and lots of flowers to give away!!
YES...I know...I live in Tim Buc Two....lol...but hey... just do it!!!!!
Ok...I'm being a smarty pants...and I know you won't...so I'll come to whereever it is...within reason..lol!!!!

for me its no problem as the mileage . since i usually sleep over at Cookies or a motel. i enjoy the get away from kids ect...
so don't worry about me . i m ok with most area's picked out .
The tomatoville people have a meeting at a park near cincy buy the river. would that be a place that is central for everyone ?
i can't think of the name off hand but it may be Ramsey state park ?
just a thought
sue

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

CHOPTAG's Gathering is at Paxton Ramsey Park.
It's about 5 minutes from where I work and no great shakes as a park.
We were there years back w/ Melissa and the gathering was neat but the park is basically just a sports complex.
Their 2011 Gathering is May 7th.

I'd not heard of any negative comments, by anyone who attended, about last year's RU location.
(Well other than the rain and that's always going to be a factor.)
So I find that a bit disturbing, but if we don't know about the issues we can't comment.
So if those members would please address that issue it would be helpful.

Let me also say I have issued a CBlast about the RU to the 'other' site.
Several members have chosen not to renew here at DG for various reasons so they will weigh in there.
They are still dear Friends and so IMHO need to be included in the decision.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I absolutely agree about the folks on C, too.

I don't care where it is. If the date works for me, I'll be there. I personally liked the site on the river. Especially when we got to see the floating grill going by on the escaped dock! ^_^

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Joyce. That WAS funny.

Wherever you have it, it would be nice for most, it if was somewhat level with restrooms accessible. I personally didn't care for the site where the parking lot was at the bottom of the hill and the pavilion was at the top of the hill and the restrooms were off to the side, up on the hill. It forced people to move around too much and divide off.

The remark I heard about the last site, is "I would never go there again". It doesn't matter who said it. They can claim the remark or not. Actually, I don't think they are a member on this site anymore. The point is, they were unhappy.

Marcy, I'd love to hang out at your house but it's been stated many times that people don't want to do the main RU at someone's house for whatever reasons. I think it's very gracious of you to offer whether or not you were kidding. Think of all the jobs we could do for you. LOL I'm coming to see you when it warm up anyway and whether or not you give out plants. :P

I think it's seriously lacking, NOT to consider someone's house. It's free, people can come and go as they wish. There is no double loading and unloading of plants if people want to go to a second location. A few years ago, the last RU I did attend, I enjoyed having several people camp here and spend the whole weekend. I guess it is true that some would feel uncomfortable going to another person's house and some are going to feel uncomfortable just being around new people. But the flip side is, when push came to shove and the weather forced us to Judy's house (thank you for your generosity Judy!), we actually had a great time, spent the whole time in close quarters and actually TALKED the whole time.

My daylily and hosta club meets every month. Many of the meetings are hosted in a home or in a garden at someone's home. It doesn't seem to affect the membership in any way. It's also really wonderful to see different gardens.

I'm going to go do what brought us here in the first place-grow plants!

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

I agree with Michelle on having it at someone's house. I had a great time at Judy's and since we were all inside and talking, I felt like I got to know more of the people attending. At a shelter house, it is easy to sit down, mark your spot with a drink , plate , plant or whatever, and talk to those around you. When I left , I felt like I hadn't even met some of the folks there. I personally liked it by the river. If the date is open for us, we will probably be there wherever it is held. Lou

I feel the problem of having it at someones house is , that their would be issues of " who's house " . Seems that we have a difficult time selecting a park , much less picking someones house.
also bare in mind that if we did a person's home, someone would be hurt because it wasn't at "their house this year "
so i feel that its better to do a park , at a public place. If people want, they can do the after party at a house of choice of their own or by invite .
just my two cents and MHO

Sue that may be a point, but I have never not attended because of it being at someone's house. There was a RU that I missed because of a missing puppy, Ric remembers that one. That may have been the one at Judy's house. But the main consideration for me is the distance, not the location. Several years ago that wasn't a problem, but the last couple of years with my health problems, I just cannot do a very long drive, unless I have a break.

I always enjoy seeing everybody, and the good food and the plant exchange. It would be a shame for someone to not plan to attend just because of the location wasn't suitable. That would be like cutting off the nose to spite the face.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Honestly, I'm trying to figure out why it keeps getting moved all over. The KYRU, which is how these RU's got started, is at the same place every year. People don't mind traveling as far because they can stay several days and I think some stay nearly a week.

With these much smaller gatherings, they barely manage to be a full day. Bonnie, Lou, Esther and Marcy haven't missed a single one (other than the dog emergency). As long as health holds out for those four, I don't imagine they will ever miss one. I think they should have a lot of pull considering a permanent location. Let's face it, there are smaller groups of people that get together quite often and others that rarely see each other. Why should there be a big debate every year over where to have it? It would be so much easier to pick one place, one time frame and keep it there annually. That would probably end a lot of conflict so long as everyone agreed on the permanent location.

Shouldn't everyone be excited about going every year rather than sitting here trying to pound out details every year?

Columbus, OH

I'm easy. Just tell me where to go. And if GPS cannot find it within the park, someone give me their phone number, lol.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Everyone mostly liked Chilo is that a viable site?

As for the Date I'll throw out June 11.
There is a mystery guest who can make it on that date.........

ok then sounds like a plant
chilo
june 11 as the perspective place.
Bonnie yes i agree the distance is the main issue for some and i sure hope we can find a place so everyone can come.
and the drive is not to long for the KY's :)

Chilo is good for me, because I can drive to my DTS's and have a rest there. Nothing on the calendar for June 11 either.

LOL i can't spell can i ?
i meant plan :) but you all new that didn't you ?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

To paraphrase Tom Waits
'Your Keyboard has been drinking........'

Sue, I knew what you were saying. If half the letters are there, I can understand it.

Columbus, OH

Fuhgeddabout it, Sue. We're not grading your papers :)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I hope everyone has a great time. I will meet up with you if you come to Baker's. Being in the car farther than an hour is just to much for me anymore.

I had a great time when I was able to go to Joyce's, but I would not even try that now.

Columbus, OH

Daylily, if it's driving, we'll drive you. If it's being cooped up, we don't have a truck to throw you in the back.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Jules, don't you have enough daylily friends that you could do the trip in spurts? I'm sure they'd all love a visit. Heck, you could show up here in the morning, get a break and follow someone the last hour. Hard to believe I've known you all these years and have yet to meet you!

(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

I love Chilo Locks - believe it or not, my GS troop stayed in a yurt there for a weekend 7-8 years ago and the park ranger took us on a tour of the preserve next door - so much fun and great memories! It's about 1.5 - 2 hours away for me best I remember and that's about as far as I'll go so it's good for me. June 11th works out great for me.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much. It is the vibration. RSD is a weird disease. When I just had it in my foot and shoulder, I could pad those areas with down pillows and could manage a couple hours in the car fairly well... but now it is in most of my body, and it is just to much. I didn't even go to my friend Curt's daylily garden in Cleveland during bloom last year. First time in 20 years. I was crushed when my employer let me go in Dec 2009, but in hindsight, I have no idea how I was making it to work everyday, let alone getting anything done while there. Still, I do way better than most do who have RSD. So - it could be much worse.

I have a cousin who is as close to a brother as I have. He lives in KY just south of Cinci and we have not been down there in years to see him.

It is just the way it is, you know? Some things you just have to accept.

Take lots of photos and tell me all about it, ok?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So has anyone reserved something or no?

The Boy Scouts still do that Di! Melissa told me they also put in a big playground. I've not been there in a few years.

I'm sorry you are not able to travel Jules. I'd like to meet you someday!

Whoops dropped a word somewhere. edit edit

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 3:53 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Nope nothing reserved here.

This message was edited Mar 29, 2011 5:03 PM

South Point, OH(Zone 6a)

The date will work for us, and when a place is decided on, we'll figure out how to get there.

A lot of times we have stayed at a hotel or with relatives the night before to ensure we could get to the RU before everyone had gone home. Things will be easier with our new CR-V. Our greatest problem was loading the old sedan (took forever, and seemed impossible) , we are almost glad it died in a flash flood last July.

Ester that fig you gave me last year is wonderful !!1 still going strong !

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Esther you two cram as many plants in a car as we do.
Believe me I know pain...lol!
Now you have a CR-V and we have a Pickup Truck..... OH NO!

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm pretty sure the 11th works for me....seems like there is something that day, but it surely can't be as important as the RU! Like I said before just tell me where it's going to be and I'll be there!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL about the dead car Esther! I love your new car. I couldn't believe how much you pulled out of it when you were here a few months ago!

So has anyone reserved anything or do they have plans to? The longer we wait, the slimmer the chances are of getting something. I called to check on Chilo since no one has posted anything. The only open days in June are Saturday the 25th, Sunday the 5th and Father's Day, Sunday the 19th. Right now all of May is open.

what is it wiht june and everywhere is full ? doesn't anyone like may ? LOL
i got so busy with astilbe's i forgot to mention i could do the calling and reservations.
i would prefer to do it earlier in june then later ? if i may give .02 cents in worth :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.