PETOPENTIA NATALENSIS

Phoenix, AZ

Just bought one on E-bay. Going to the hydroponics store today to get some of the clay marbles :)
Anyone have this plant?

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Yardley, PA

I have had this plant for many years in s/h and it loves it. The vine just started growing again. The back of the leaf is a pretty purple.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Phoenix, AZ

Yay! Thanks Sally! I'm excited, just got back from the hydroponics store with the PrimeAgra. I'll have to check out First Rays for the clear pots, they didn't have anything like the clear pots there.

Decatur, GA

I got one of these recently off eBay as well. Its an okay specimen. I hope it will do well in the s/h. I want my plants to be just like Sally's plants when they grow up. ^_^
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Yardley, PA

lol Helen! Considering what little effort I put into taking care of my plants, I am sure you will have no problem with your plants.

Yardley, PA

For containers you can also use take out containers that are used at grocery stores or chinese restaurants. I just drill 2 holes one inch from the bottom of the pot.

Phoenix, AZ

Got my plant, it is teeny tiny :(
Much smaller than the ones pictured that were "the actual plants up for bid".
Oh well, How slow does this one grow?
Also checked with Ray, seems my order for pots was somehow overlooked and will go out next week....sigh........

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I also have had this plant for about 1 year. I have it in soil but will be switching it over to s-h soon. I had mine on my patio last summer and it did not like the heat at night. I bought it inside under lights and it perked right back up. My caudex was small when I got it and it is growing along well. I also love the purple backs of the leaves.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Phoenix, AZ

Very pretty Nancy!

Yardley, PA

They do that all the time Fish_knees on ebay. You really have to read the small print! That's ok though, It will grow. I don't keep good records but I have had mine for a really long time.
It is a pretty good size now. The leaves really are the best part of the plant.

Phoenix, AZ

No, I was reading the "fine" print. The pic was of a big one, then when you scroll down to the description it says these are the actual plants up for bid. Of course they are much smaller. Well what I got was MUCH smaller than those....it's a crap shoot.....

Yardley, PA

You are right, it is a crap shoot.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Be sure to leave critical feedback at eBay if the seller ships you a plant different from the "actual plant" in the picture. This is important.

Decatur, GA

I think its always better to contact the seller about your dissatisfaction before leaving negative feedback on eBay. Most work hard to fix a problem with a buyer.
But if they essentially just say 'tough' then by all means, leave them a bad feedback.
Helen

Ebay has a category called "item as described" in the feedback section and that's a perfect place to indicate the actual plant was not the one pictured and described as "actual plant" in the text. That's what the feedback system is for. If you don't leave feedback, nobody down the road will know you had a problem. It doesn't have to be so much of a crap shoot.

Note that you don't have to rate the transaction overall as "negative" in order to rate the "item as described" as low.

Phoenix, AZ

It's funny, when I went to leave feedback there was nothing that said "item as described" I haven't bought a plant on E-bay for over a year. The questions were all about shipping and if the seller's communication was good. I just thought that wasn't one of the questions anymore. The teeny plant was wrapped in butcher paper and not taped down to the box, so it spent the whole time bouncing around. When I opened the box potting soil poured out. This seller has over 6000 positives and a score of 99.7 %
It really is a sad little "Charlie Brown tree" sort of a plant ....lol. Not quite the 6 inch seedling they pictured.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Phoenix, AZ

This is THEIR photo of the plants up for bid. I'll contact the seller and see what they say.

Thumbnail by Fish_knees

Here's eBay's help section, including the description of the four areas where you offer stars for feedback.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/feedback/detailed-seller-ratings.html

For the record, the listing I see currently up at eBay does not specify "actual plant" or anything like that in the text. It is a fairly common practice (not a good one) for eBay sellers to include pictures of big old plants when they're selling small seedlings or offsets. The text has to clarify the difference. I don't go near that type of thing if I can avoid it, and there are many great sellers who include a picture of the actual plant for sale (or one that might as well be its twin). That way the possibility for confusion (or exaggeration) is minimized.

The listing does say 6 inches, which is clearly not the case unless maybe you count the roots or lift up the leaves. :)

Phoenix, AZ

Thanks Baja :)

This seller had a picture of a really large plant, then as you scrolled down it said you are bidding on a 6 inch seedling in a 3 inch pot and then pictured the seedlings. You're right they didn't say that they were the actual seedlings. Lesson learned :(
Next time I'll ask first if the size includes the roots too...lol.

I did send the seller a note saying that the size plant I received did not match the size I paid for.
I left positive feed back.

Phoenix, AZ

Good news! I heard from the seller :)

Here is the message I sent them (I've removed any identifying names)

I received my plant and it is much, much smaller than the ones you pictured. The description is a 6 inch plant in a 3 inch container. This plant is barely 4 1/2 inches and has teeny tiny leaves. Had you pictured a plant this tiny I wouldn't have purchased it. You have excellent feed back so I felt comfortable purchasing from you. I don't think this was done on purpose, disappointing never the less :(

And the very prompt response :)

Hi
I'm sorry. I'll ship you a bigger one tomorrow
Thanks

Decatur, GA

Yes, this is usually what happens with me. Only one seller told me "tough beans" when I thought I made a reasonable complaint and I eventually left him a negative feedback. I am happy to say out of many many purchases on eBay that is the only negative I have ever left. And to clarify I have only contacted a few sellers with concerns about my purchases. Both times I got refunds and I left positive feedback as a satisfied customer. I like to purchase on eBay because you do have some recourse that assures a quality product and service.
Helen
PS. Fish, your plant is pitiful looking. Could it have spider mites?

Phoenix, AZ

I don't see any spider mites, it's definitely pitiful :(

Decatur, GA

Maybe under your tutelage it will thrive and go from pitiful to radiant.
Good luck.
Helen

Phoenix, AZ

I'm gonna do my darndest :)

(Mary) Poway, CA(Zone 10a)

I wouldn't have left any feedback until it's positively settled.

Providence, RI

I wanted to purchase one on eBay. Not sure if I should now, or at least contact the seller to check the specs of the plant first. Does anyone here know the lighting and care requirements of this plant? Thanks

Phoenix, AZ

I know I jumped the gun on giving positive feedback. Then after I thought about it and looked at this pathetic little plant no where near the description. I contatced the seller, we'll see if he actualy comes through with another plant that matches the description. In the mean time I have bought another one from Teedee cactus on e-bay. They picture the actual plant you'll get. It should be delivered friday or saturday. I'll post an update. My pots from firstrays should be here thursday or friday :)

Decatur, GA

TeeDee is excellent. Good choice.
Helen

Yardley, PA

Fatcaudex - I have this plant in full sun in the summer and under lights in the winter in my house. I use s/h so I water when the reservoir is low.

Phoenix, AZ

Good news! The seller did replace the tiny little stick. I am very pleased that he kept his word. :)

Heres a side by side, can you tell a difference? LOL

Thumbnail by Fish_knees
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow! The new one is much better! My faith has been restored in Ebay!

Phoenix, AZ

I'm really tickled :)

Decatur, GA

Very nice replacement. The little one will probably do okay too. Have fun.
Helen

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Awesome replacement!

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

I was lucky enough to also find a specimen, so happy.

Thumbnail by Little_things
Yardley, PA

Little things that is a beauty. Fish knees that is a very nice replacement. I have always had good luck buying on ebay. I just bought 2 crested succulents that were actually much bigger than I thought they were going to be.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.